2 Lessons learned...

I agree with Oscar's Dad; sounds like a good LFS. Glad you brought the anemone back. Personally, I will not have one in my tank, even though my daughter (teenager) bats her eyes and begs. Take things slow and your tank will be a great pleasure.

He's a really nice guy. I'm glad I took the anemone back. It will give me time to focus on my refugium and the other critters I've got so far. I would like to add another fish because the clown looks lonely in there all alone. I'm going to wait 'till this weekend and do a lot of research this week. After that, I'll leave everything alone until at least after Christmas. I really appreciate all the advice I've gotten here.

Catherine

He's a really nice guy. I'm glad I took the anemone back. It will give me time to focus on my refugium and the other critters I've got so far. I would like to add another fish because the clown looks lonely in there all alone. I'm going to wait 'till this weekend and do a lot of research this week. After that, I'll leave everything alone until at least after Christmas. I really appreciate all the advice I've gotten here.

Catherine

Be careful, fish don't have the same emotions we have. The clowns are likely just fine. I would wait three to four weeks between adding fish. Don't want to rain on your parade, but don't want to see you with stressed fish either.

Oh, I don't need to add the fish, there's just the one clown fish in this tank and I thought it would relieve his stress if there was someone else in the tank for him to play with. He swims in circles all the time like a tiger in a cage. I would like for the clown to be happy, if he's ok with me waiting to put in more fish, that's fine with me!

Catherine

Your clown won't die of loneliness, more than likely it won't want any company. IMHO...
My maroon is territorial as a pit bull. Even the fish 3x its size stay away in fear of the clown.

All very good info. With the clown fish, you have to get an Anemone that is about 3 times the size of the clown. Clown's "buffer" the Anemone non-stop to secrete a chemical from there body that repel's the sting, or "buffer's" it. This action will kill an Anemone if it's not large enough. You did the right thing by taking it back. Your tank wasn't ready for that just yet.

Maroon Clown's are aggressive fish, mine RULE's my 225. Up until I was dump with a Bristle tooth tang anyway. The Tang & Clown have been fighting, the Tang is bigger and was winning ( cut the clown good once) chasing the Clown back into the Anemone. But that's over now, D.french has the tang.
Trust me he's not lonely. He will feel intimidated when you add another fish. He'd prefer to be the only one there. Keep in mind Maroon Clown's can get up to 8 inches when fully grown. I've seen them fully grown and they are HUGE and very THICK bodied. And you don't need to buy the Clown and the anemone at the same time. You can wait until your tank is ready, then buy a large anemone and the clown will host to it. It's really neat IMO, mine clown take's food to it all the time. And hide's in it at night. But anemone's can be nasty, as like what Yote explained and like Biff stated. IF it die's and your skimmer isn't large & in charge the death on an anemone can wife out your tank. And clown's will host in almost any other coral.

Thanks!! I think I'm going to put any and all fish purchases on the back burner for a while. I'm ok with the clown ruling the tank as long as he doesn't destroy my corals. I was hoping to someday get a goby or other sand sifter. I'll let that decision take a long, long time. Thanks again for all your help.

Catherine

Back