20g seahorse tank

rjd0521

Reefing newb
Hi guys, this is my second aquarium. It is a 20 gallon seahorse tank. I have not upgraded the lights yet which are T8 10k and actinics and also uses the original filter that came with the tank except that I added a poly filter pad on one side and half a bag of chemi pure elite on the other side. I was thinking of removing the top filter and install a aquafuge instead.

In the tank, I have a Koralia nano 425 powerhead, a rio 90 powerhead, a small heater, and a biocube protein skimmer.

I have 2 seahorses in there, a erectus and a tiger tail. I also lost another female tiger tail last night due to unknown reasons.

Let me know what you guys think.

1ghh5z.jpg

260ztbl.jpg

1zfk3de.jpg

2iiiurk.jpg

2363bp.jpg

Cool tank! This makes me want to start a nano seahorse tank. Sorry to hear you lost one recently, that's a bummer.

Very pretty!

I also wouldnt upgrade the lighting, seahorses dont like bright lights.

The tiger tails are pretty hard to keep in captivity because they are usually wild caught and they just dont adjust well to tank life. The erectus are a bit easier and hardier.

Where did you purchase your seahorses?

Great article you did. Very resourceful.
I believe that my erectus was wild caught because he only eats live food. I feed him ghost shrimp twice a day and he was actually the first fish that I bought when I started with saltwater tank probably 8-10 months ago. He's a strong little guy.
As for the tiger tail, he doesn't go for the ghost shrimp nor frozen so I feed him the instant nutrition "instant brine shrimp" and copepods.

you can start by cooling the feeder shrimp before you add them to the tank, so they are slower and are more dead like. Keep cooling them until eventually they are dead. I would also add in the mysid shrimp when you feed so they get used to the "scent"

You have a tough challenge ahead of you, good luck!

Next time I would buy them from a more reputable source. Its likely that they were all wild caught, which is bad because they are much harder to adjust to tank life and generally end up dying on you. Also because its very easy to buy captive breed ones that are well adjusted to tank life and will do much better overall.

I would check this link out:
https://www.livingreefs.com/seahorse-101-please-read-if-you-considering-seahorses-t33575.html

Thanks for the article

Back