29g nano reef (Cr1ck37)

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
Thought I would start my own thread of my tank...here goes...

Also made a little blog of my experiences making a saltwater tank, the good :D and the bad :grumble:

There's also a live stream of my tank!
My Nano Reef (29g)

30lbs~ Aragonite Reef Sand
??lbs of Live Rock...I didn't exactly weigh them when I got them
1x Hydor Nano 425 powerhead
1x Penguin 550 powerhead
Penn Plax Cascade Canister 500 Filter
1x 50w heater (tried a 100w, but it ended up warming the tank too much, at a constant 74F degrees right now)

RO/DI weekly water changes...5g~
Top off water every other day depending on evaporation

Currently have brown algae all over, which I've read is a good thing :bounce:

Images to follow, any input would be great! :bowdown:

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Looks great! I like the live stream vid. Just dont walk infront of your camera in the nude, we dont wanna see that... Lol, but again, all jokes aside, I like the setup. How long has it been up and running?

Lol thanks! I have a little cover on those certain occasions... ;)

Tank has been up for around 3 months (1 month added cleaning crew, then next month fish) now, took a while to decide on what fish to add, so it ran on empty for a while.

Last edited:
That's what I'm hoping for, I got it around a week ago...so I'm optimistic that it will go away this week... (Pair of Trochus snails came to the rescue to help clean)

Yeah, theyre diatoms. I cleaned mine off the glass and left them on the rocks but i did take advantage of the snails by moving them to locations i desired that were heavily affected by the bloom

That sounds like a good idea buddy, I will have to do that tomorrow. Night time lights are on so I wouldn't want to disturb their sleep ;)

I'm going through the brown algae phase also. I don't even attempt to clean them off. They come back super fast, but will go away with time.

They will go away when they use up all the silicates in the tank. They use that to build their shells, and when that is gone, they die off.

So each tank will be unique about how long it takes for them to use it up

Ya kinda figured about the silicates, just wondering if there was anything else to speed it up :D

Will see if I can get more close up shots of my tank members / corals today!

I just went about my normal tank duties. I tried sand cleaning and siphoning them off the rocks, but they would just come back the next day. You just got to let the tank run its course. I kind of took it as a good sign of a maturing tank.

: ]

Back