300 gallon stocking list

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
300 gallon stocking list

I have decided to go with just a couple show size fish being that my tank long term will be primarily reef and do not want to overstock it.

Stock list Blonde naso tang 8-12in
Archilles tang 8 inches
Red sea sohal tang 8-12 inches
2 Crosshatch triggers
1 Blue throat 8 inches
9 Anthias

sugestions are welcomed

A couple of things: I think a smaller blonde naso and smaller sohal will be fine (thinking 4-5"), but I worry about show size fish in a 6ft tank, even though I know it is 3ft wide. I recently saw a 10" sohal tang in an 8ft tank and it was very cramped. It was being kept by an expert aquarist and while okay when smaller in the 8ft tang, it wasn't doing as well when it got large and stopped eating last week. I haven't heard whether he lost it or not.

The achilles and sohal may fight as well. I'd put the achilles in first.

I would only go with one species of trigger (my personal preference would be the crosshatch pair). Even though both types are on the more peaceful end of the spectrum as far as triggers go, I think they will fight each other in even an 8ft tank.

I think you are going to want more fish. Why not add several other types of reef fish, such as wrasses, a clown pair, school of chromis, etc.? Wrasses in particular will help keep potential hitchhikers in check.

While I agree that a sohal and an Achilles may fight, they should be the last fish added. An Achilles will likely not take kindly to ANYTHING added to the tank after he is. That may also be true for some of the triggers as well. I'm also going to agree that even in a standard 300, you shouldn't be looking for fish that are already 12 inches in length, that's just too big for a 6 foot tank

Based on this thread, Mixing planktivores - does it work out? - Reef Central Online Community I think you should be ok with those triggers together.

And from that same site, you're going to have issues with that sohal when it reaches maturity. I'd say close to 90% of people that I've talked to that have kept sohals in their tank ended up having to remove them because they were attacking other fish. And not just other tangs but wrasses, clowns, angels as well as the tank owners. They're just incredibly aggressive fish.

While I agree that a sohal and an Achilles may fight, they should be the last fish added. An Achilles will likely not take kindly to ANYTHING added to the tank after he is.

I should clarify that I just meant that I think the achilles should be added before the Sohal, which I think will be the more aggressive of the two acanthurus tangs (at least they are when they are larger). I didn't mean to add it as the first fish in the tank out of everyone!

EDIT: Actually, I'm totally wrong about what I just recommended. If you do try both of them, they should be added together. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just not paying attention tonight!

Last edited:
Back