75 Gallon in Wall Aquarium w/ 55 Sump first tank and build

In only 4 hours of running my new lights the rocks have developed a green and brownish tint cover to them? Is this good, bad or mean my lights are to close? There is 2 120w leds hanging about 5.75" above the glass covers?

Attachments

• brownish on rock.jpg
    brownish on rock.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 765
  • green on rock.jpg
    green on rock.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 848
Ok this is pretty wild for a noob like myself but in the last 45 mins even it is turning more yellow now? The green is disappearing before my very eyes! wth!

Ahh the wonders of algae and bacteria. I have no input on whether the lights are placed correctly though. I'm too much of a newb...........

A few updates to post.

The first is our newest addition. Along with our new piece of live rock came a hitchhiking polyp. Not sure what kind it is however. Also the larger of the 2 Damsels had to go yesterday as he was eating the little one and started in on the clown as well.

Sorry my phone camera really pulls in the blue light color for some reason.

Attachments

• clown fish.jpg
    clown fish.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 554
  • hitch hiking polyp.jpg
    hitch hiking polyp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 547
And here is the latest from the front of the tank and the lights finally installed. I put them on a piece of angle bracket so I could just raise the hook when I needed to service anything in the tank. So far it seems to be working well. Took back the Coral life timer and got two separate ones so I could have the blues on for and hour before and after the main lights. The coral life wouldnt let the two run together.

Here is the lights picture. Sorry. I keep getting some "token missing" error when I try to upload certain pics.

Attachments

• lights finished.jpg
    lights finished.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 729
I just ordered 50lbs of rock from reefrocks.net. I noticed a few others from this site has used them and were very happy. Ill post some pictures when the rocks arrive. Ill also post some pictures of the 2 new rocks I got with coralline algae last Friday. One has red, purple and what appears to be yellow bubble maybe and also so blackish looking stuff. I did also notice I have one of those Asteria star fish sneaking around. Think I should get him out? Thanks all! Have a great day!

Here is the asteria star and what I believe to be a diatom bloom going on. From what I've read im not to worry yet? Is it to early for critters to eat this stuff?

Attachments

• asteria star.jpg
    asteria star.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 715
  • diatom bloom.jpg
    diatom bloom.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,081
That is my sand bottom in the brown diatom picture by the way. Also here is some kind of black algae and my polyp who stayed closed today?

Attachments

• black algae.jpg
    black algae.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 824
  • closed poly.jpg
    closed poly.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 682
Here is the yellow algae and red algae. I know next to nothing about any of these algaes except the purple stuff is good. If anyone cares to chime in about them it would be appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• purple and red algae.jpg
    purple and red algae.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 767
  • yellow algae.jpg
    yellow algae.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 774
+1 Chichi

I would pick out the asterina star, the diatoms will go away on their own, the other algae wont, but its normal for new tanks. Just suck it out when you do your water change.

Back