And it begins...JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED

so about $10 to fill and a couple a month for top off and water changes? if you can keep 5 gallons back for emergencies its probably better than buying an ro/unit, you can still get a di cartridge and run the bottled water through that

The machine at the Walmart is actually an RO/DI unit. I double checked, then looked again. LOL I wanted to make double sure that it was RO/DI. Then I checked the maintenance routine on both machines, that was when I noticed that they do maintenance on it on the 10th of every month. Right now I'm looking for some containers to carry the water, they have 5 gallon containers, but they are $10 a piece. I am just checking to see if I can get them more reasonably priced someplace else (yes I am that anal). I am thinking of getting 2 and just making 3 trips. Luckily the trip to Walmart only takes 5 minutes.

Not the ones I was looking at. These were white containers that had a push nozzel. These weren't the normal blue water cooler bottles.

This is what came today. :) This is a custom made media basket from urbaneks over on nano-reefs. He has a 28 gal Nano Cube as well. This fits much better in the media basket spot. Doesn't allow any overflow, unlike the stock media basket. So the entire water column is forced to go through the media. :^:

101_0336.jpg

Evidently they tried to deliver my rocks, but my dad wasn't home. I'm going to see if I can pick it up after work.

Last edited:
Look what came today! :lol:

101_0339.jpg

And we are now one step closer. :)

All of the lights on.

101_0342.jpg

Daylight and dusk.

101_0344.jpg

Moonlights only.

101_0345.jpg

And before anyone says anything, no I am not going to be leaving the cords like this. I plan on getting a powerstrip/timer and putting everything in the stand.

I also picked up two collapsable water containers that you use for camping, salt, a 100w heater (don't remember the brand off the top of my head), a digital thermostat and a hydrometer. This is only going to be used during the cycle. Once the cycle is complete I'll be switching to a refractometer. :)

Actually I am taking Biff's advice, I'm putting the rocks first so that they sit on the glass. This is what I have so far for the rock work. I'm not 100% that they are going to be staying this way yet. I need to look at it for a bit.

101_0347.jpg

And a little closer.

101_0348.jpg

Last edited:
Back