Another Noob here

slippi

Reefing newb
Hello, found this forum while searching for advice on a new salt water tank. I just purchased a 110 gal tank. It has the holes pre drilled on the bottom. The guy at the store has his own tank and made some recommendations, but I want to be sure they are correct. I said I should get the wet/dry filter for under the tank and a light, which was a marineland led for reef with a timer. Also, 20lbs of sand, as well as a Fluval SP4 1822gph pump. He said I should get about 200-250 lbs of live rock to go with it. From what I have seen, this may be a little much? or just right? Did he overkill me, or miss something?

the live rock should be like 1.5 - 2 pounds per gal and that is to insure that have enough bio filtration as far as return pump about 10 times your tank and dont forget to acount for head height so 1822 should be good. is this going to mixed reef or fish only? either way i would invest in a ro/di filter (well save you money for water changes)

Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place for advice :)
You may want to look into your lighting options and decide what is right for you. same goes with whatever type of sump you want to use. 150-200 lbs. of live rock should be plenty. I do notice that you didn't mention a protein skimmer which is pretty much a must have item. You will want one rated for 150-200 gallon tank. Research all of your options and livestock before purchasing anything. You will waste a lot of money if you let the store decide what you need. I agree on the at home water filtration. Hauling water is a pain and can get costly. Invest in a RO/DI unit. Most importantly, have fun with your new hobby!

Just thought of another thing you will need. Heater and powerheads for flow inside the tank.

Thanks everyone. I am wanting fish, rock and coral. I do have some power heads from my old aquarium, as well as heaters, which are still working and suitable for salt water. The store did not mention a skimmer, although I saw them on the shelves. I guess the main question I have right now, before I install it all, is about filtration. They mentioned the best was the under tank wet/dry filter. It has bio balls, but I have seen in different places that these can be bad. Also, can someone explain the skimmer, its function, and placement? Also, is there a site to order decent live rock that is inexpensive? Realizing it will ultimately be "expensive", but I am looking for the best value for the money.

the skimmer takes protein out of the water before it can rot and turn in to ammonia in turn helps keeps the nitrates down the bioballs are not need as the live rock gives the bacteria a place to live just a sump under the tank will work i made mine out of a 10 gal tank as far as the rock i dont know of any but im soure someone eles can help with that as far as the skimmer most people put them in the sump

Thanks Emmett. I am looking online. I am looking at a coralife Super with Needle. I see Chichimom said one rated for 150-200, But I see the equipment list states some people say don't go over rated. The one I am looking at is for 125 gal (which my tank is 110. Will this work?

Try online for dry or base rock. Marcorocks.com is one, but reefcleaners.org also has some. A lot of stores will also sell some type of base rock. Remember, lighter, more porous peices are going to offer more surface area for bacteria, in which case you probably only need 1 lb per gallon. It also tends to be more expensivee since a large chunk may only weigh in at a few lbs. If you go with denser rock, it's often cheaper, but you need more to fill in the same space (weight-wise) and it will take more to get the surface area.

After you get mostly dry rock (I aim for 90%) you can get a few lbs of live rock to seed it and the bacteria will colonize it all, as will corals, pods and coralline algae.

+1 Kyle. Definately go with some dry rock to save you some money.
Slippi, there are huge differences in the quality of skimmers. If the one you are looking at rated for 125 gallons is a good one, it will probably suffice. Here's a great video explaining a little more about skimmers. I love Mr. Saltwater Tank :D He has a ton of great videos for hobbyists.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAgZopwyDM]Setting Up a Cone Protein Skimmer - YouTube[/ame]

I do have my old florescent light that I can use. I am only guessing there are bulbs I csn use in place of the normal bulb?

i would say go with led lights or you could go with an 8 bulb t-5 ho the full length of the tank but the leds would be better

Well, the LED light that I have is for 48 to 60 inch tanks. There are tons of lights on it. But someone said that it was not enough for a big tank? It has 42 white lights at 10k and 8 blue lights at 460nm. This is not enough? The one pictured here is the smaler one.

p-78584-61868C_921-69-fish.jpg

Back