Barry's 120 Gallon Reef

Holy Crap. It's been since July since I updated anything here. Quite a bit has happened since then. Guess I better hop to it.

Hmm...Duncan was added last. The ?cody? nem from the last pics was returned to Lyle since it was a PINTA. Moving and stinging everything in it's path including me.

August Updates;

I have a lot of little white stars in my tank so I figured it was time for a Harlequin shrimp.
0221-Harley.jpg

Also picked up a frag of Red Star Polyps while I was there.
0228-RedStarPolyps.jpg

Harley making his get away.
0226-Harley6.jpg

0227-Harley7.jpg

September Updates;

I was given a couple Flasher Wrasse that looked like hell, bought a Copperband, and was given a new piece of rock.

Here's my Red Star Polyps open.
0233-RedStarPolyps.jpg

Flasher Wrasses
0234-HifinFairyWrasses.jpg

0236-Fairiesarefree.jpg

Copperband
0235-Copperband.jpg

0237-CopperbandisFree.jpg

0238-Copperband.jpg

New Rock
0239-NewRock1.jpg

0240-NewRock2.jpg

September Updates Continued;

I hadn't seen the wrasses since I put them in so I thought I should check the overflows. To check the overflows I had to take the hood off the tank. Since I had the hood off. I wanted to re-wire the LEDs so the colours were together on a controller instead of all mixed together. I ended up finding both wrasses at the back of the tank dead. :(

Royal Blues - Bank 1
0241-Blues1.jpg

Royal Blues Bank 2
0242-Blues2.jpg

Royal Blues Bank 3
0243-Blues3.jpg

All Royal Blues
0244-AllBlues.jpg

10,000K Bank 1
0245-Whites1.jpg

10,000K Bank 2
0246-Whites2.jpg

All 10,000K
0247-AllWhites.jpg

10 - 4500K, 4 - Red & 4 - 420nM
0248-Mixture.jpg

A little video I made of the tank after I put the hood back on.
Rewired LEDs - YouTube

October Updates;

My Copperband died. I couldn't get it to eat. I watched it eat in the store, but it wouldn't eat for me. I took it to Lyle to see if he could do anything with it, but... no such luck.

I went with Lyle to his wholesaler's and picked up some new additions to the tank. I have never seen so many tank with healthy looking fish in them. I picked up a leopard wrasse, 4 green chromis, a frag of red zoas, and a frag of orange zoas.

0249-NewAdditions-1.jpg

While I was there, I did find the next fish I really want. It's eating both frozen brine and pellets, looks really healthy and is dirt cheap!! Less then I paid for everything in the above picture.
0250-NextFish-1.jpg

I decided against the Mourish Idol. Heard that even if they do eat, they lack something in their diet and end up dying. I haven't seen my Leopard Wrasse since I put him in so went with a Red Flicker Wrasse Lyle had picked up while we were there.
0251-NewFish.jpg

0254-NewFish4.jpg

Here's another video of my tank.
Oct 12 Tank Vid - YouTube

I scored a nice Purple, Orange with Yellow mouth Ric from Lyle. "Just give me a piece when it splits" is what he said as he bagged it up.
0255-NewRic.jpg

I wanted to get rid of the Green Tipped Mushrooms I had as they were taking over valuable real estate. Since I had to take the hood off to get them out, I figured I might as well put the 80 degree optics on my LEDs. Oppss, I missed wiring 4 LEDs. Had the camera out so I took some pictures.

Red FLicker Wrasse...still haven't seen my leopard. :( Lyle had a juvie Dragon Wrasse. Might play let's make a deal with him. I keep it til it becomes an adult then he gets it back.
0256-RedFlasherWrasse.jpg

Looking from the end.
0257-EndShot.jpg

Optics on the LEDs, but you can't see them. Changed the whole way the tank looks.
0258-OpticsonLEDs.jpg

FTS. The stick is holding the lid open to cool the tank off.
0259-FTS.jpg

New Rock
0260-NewRock.jpg

Ah shit!! I hate it when you get 4 1/2 hours of overtime and have to make a trip to the wholesalers!!! I told the kids Wednesday I was getting a new fish...but Steve had a couple orders come in last week and I couldn't say no to a naso tang for $15. Well so I didn't like to the kids I had to get fishes!! :) :) :) Sailfin Tang $15, and 3 more Green Chromis for $5. I love that place. Need more tanks for all the fish he has.

Sailfin Tang.
0261-SailfinTang.jpg

Green Chromis
0262-GreenChromis.jpg

Naso Tang
0263-NasoTang.jpg

I'm done with livestock now. Just corals are going to be going in my tank now. The Sailfin has finally put the Basslett in his place. He's no longer King on the tank. LOL! They were all coloured up nicely yesterday and eating. I had to put a little nori strip in my tank for the Naso. It didn't eat anything I fed last night.

Last edited:
It's a sad but happy time in the town of Tillsonburg's saltwater community. We're losing one of the nicest tanks/setups I've ever seen. The time has come for my friend Rob to take down his tank.
smiley-sad010.gif
It's a shame to see this master piece go. One the brighter side of it, I'm inheriting a whole bunch of his corals and maybe some of his his equipment too if I can afford it. I'll keep you posted on what I am getting as he gives them to me.

Here's a link to his build treat. The pictures don't do the DT justice at all.

blob-79's 75gallon build!!

Cool additions Barry...thanks for the update.

Thank you. I've been bad...playing too many vid's. Now AC3 has come out along with Halo 4, and CoD Black Ops 2 this week...I don't think I'll been seen much except when the kids are here. But then...I just fixed my old 360...now we have 2. So many games....so little time. LOL!

Tanks lookin great! Leopard wrasses can stay buried in the sand for weeks. And they are very difficult to get eating also. Mine stayed in the sand for the longest time and would come out for about 30 mins and dive back in.

Hahaha...let me know how that AC3 is. I might have to get it. Halo and COD makes me nauseous. Too much movement.

AC3 Is great!! Personally I think 1 is still the best. Wish they wouldn't release so many games at once. I was almost finished Bourderlands 2. Not finished Bourderlands 2, not finished AC3, or Halo 4, and Black Ops 2 comes out tomorrow. I knew I should have booked the rest of the week off work. ;)

Lol me too! All those games make me sick.

Great additions to the tank!

Thanks Dennis. I mostly play the CoD's online. I like games that have a story to them, but 9 times outta 10 I'm disappointed with the ending. I'd rather play a good old fashion 1 vs 1 match of StarCraft 2.

Back