Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Next week. Flying back to the east coast soon for my Grandma's funeral. Haven't even had time to do anything else!

I've got tons of majano again (they survived being boiled on the stove then being soaked in freshwater for 2 weeks). Next week when I'm back in Tucson again I'm going to have at them again.

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

I can't believe they would survive that much.That's crazy!

How long did you boil them? If it wasn't too long maybe they got deep into the rock and the heat didn't effect them that much. That's still nuts though. I hope to hell after reading this that I never get them. Sucks for you though.LOL

I boiled each rock for around 10 minutes. Should have been long enough! And if that didn't do it, 2 weeks in freshwater? COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well there is a type of butterfly that may eat them, but it also eats corals. I'm thinking of just getting one. Nothing else seems to kill them.

Thanks. I was able to visit with her for the few days before she died. I'll have been on airplanes for 4 days out of the last 9 after this weekend :(

Sarah, all my condolences for you and your family. I never new you were an east coast girl. You will be much happier with the 90 after the downsize. Many of us lead very busy lives and the big tanks just don't fit in. But the love of the hobby keeps us going. Trust me I started my first tank in 81 and I started big. Stayed big for a long time and finally just got wore out. My 110's been up 7 years now and I love it. One thing I found over time I had to do. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the cap on your durso. It will quite your drain down. After you sit in there with it for awhile you will hear the difference. Again Biff, prayers for your Grandma.

Hey Biff, sorry about the passing of grandma...I will continue to keep you and your family, and your tank in my prayers.

Thanks everyone! I'm in New Hampshire now. Attended the wake/viewing tonight, and then went to dinner with the family. This is the first time in nearly 15 years that every single child and grandchild of my grandparents has been together at one time. It's kinda nice! The funeral is tomorrow, then I hop on a plane back home again. Home!!! Sounds so nice.

Back in Tucson. Hopefully for a long time. Plane got in at 11:30 pm last night, and I got home from work not too long ago. Still don't have a bulkhead for my tank!! I'll stop by the LFS tomorrow and see if I can finally get this damn thing plumbed!

I put sand in my tank today. I was waiting to make sure ammonia and nitrites were at zero for a couple weeks before I messed around with stuff again. After losing my two favorite fish (pink tail trigger and leopard wrasse), I really can't take anything else dying.

I took my old sand from my 240, rinsed it all out with the hose and slowly added it using small tupperware containers, opening the lids right at the bottom, to keep the dust down.

The tank is a little cloudy, but it looks 100 times better with sand!!

Since I finally got the bulkhead I needed, I am now headed to Lowe's to pick up the rest of the stuff I need to plumb the damn thing! I'm also going to set up my refugium this afternoon.

Pics will be coming when all is said and done. Over and out.

Back