Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Biff, what pieces of CuC do you plan on getting to deal with the hair algae on the back glass and powerheads? I have a little bit of that going on now and need a few more CuC.

hey biff
i noticed you were trying to get a CUC

why dont you order online? I know the LFS around me are making a killing off of them because the mark the prices up so high.

you can find snails and hermits for super cheap online. my cousin and I ordered together and got over a thousand inverts for our tanks for roughly $250.00

hey biff
i noticed you were trying to get a CUC

why dont you order online? I know the LFS around me are making a killing off of them because the mark the prices up so high.

you can find snails and hermits for super cheap online. my cousin and I ordered together and got over a thousand inverts for our tanks for roughly $250.00

I usually do order online. I had placed an order for a new CUC before my tank crashed. But my LFS has just come under new ownership and they are getting a shipment in next week, they said. So I'd like to give them a chance before I order online! Hopefully the new owners will turn things around in that store (we only have 1 LFS in Tucson).

Biff, what pieces of CuC do you plan on getting to deal with the hair algae on the back glass and powerheads? I have a little bit of that going on now and need a few more CuC.

I want to get a starry blenny, some sort of rabbitfish (I know those aren't really CUC), and a bunch of snails and a couple urchins.

Mostly though, I just need to buckle down and remove as much of it by hand as I can.

I usually do order online. I had placed an order for a new CUC before my tank crashed. But my LFS has just come under new ownership and they are getting a shipment in next week, they said. So I'd like to give them a chance before I order online! Hopefully the new owners will turn things around in that store (we only have 1 LFS in Tucson).

oh mann...thats no fun

we just lost our best lfs...well it moved to an hour away. :(

I wish the ones that are around now did something to improve the crap they are selling.
they just want to make a dollar.

This store doesn't even want to seem to do that. They very rarely have anything in stock. Like yesterday, they had no snails, no crabs, no urchins, no shrimps and no stars. Ummmm...what?!?!

haha...well no wonder they had to get new managers. the old ones didnt know you had to buy stuff from distributers to sell it to make money?

Not only new managers. The owner sold the whole store. Even better! They are keeping their good employees, which I'm happy about. They have a couple really good guys that work there. It's just funny because the old owner was told over and over again what people didn't like about his store, but he never seemed to make the effort to change those things.

I've got the same problem at my LFS' if I want clownfish and astrea snails I'm in business, If I want a little something out of the ordinary..I'm screwed. Drives me nuts...They're snails for gods sake..Get some..If I'm paying $1 what's it costing them .25? Damn it!!!

You would think a FLS that kept all of the ordinary stuff plus a few tanks of oddball stuff would do signficantly better business, I would drive 1 hr...just to see some oddball stuff.

My LFS didn't even have clowns yesterday, besides two tomato clowns. That was it for the entire store! I really hope these new owners make some changes. One thing I give them credit for, coral-wise, is that they always have lots of little pieces and frags. I can't afford to buy large colonies or whole pieces. When I buy corals, I tend to buy lots of very small things. And they always have little frags like the ones I bought yesterday. I've been in stores that only have big colonies for sale, and nothing in the store is less than $100. I'd rather get 10 small things for $100 than one large thing for the same price.

Last edited:
+1 biff i would rather get a frag too. for one in just a beginner and if i kill a colony then i would feel horrible. I know how long it takes this stuff to grow.

it makes me appreciate the work that goes into this.

its the people that have the money to go buy the colonies and kill them just to go back and get more!
i just wanna smack em "what are you doing!!!!!!!?????? wake up! these are ALIVE!"

Here is a better (not as blurry) picture of the monti in its new spot. I wedged it in the rock. Hopefully it will stay put without glue.

IMG_4057.jpg

Back