Biffy Breeds Tomato Clowns

I've been using Reef Nutrition's Phyto Feast and it is incredible. My corals are happy, happy, happy! It's so much thicker than DT's and easier to keep In my opinion. Also, my rics are loving the Arcti Pods. Don't know if that helps but I hope it does

Catherine

I know you guys keep saying to buy phyto, but I really can't afford it. It's $70 for that one little bottle!! I'd really just rather wait for mine to grow, even if it means a batch or two of clowns won't make it in the meantime... I already spent the money to grow my own cultures, and I don't have any more money to spend :(

Looks like it's time to start a 3rd bottle of phyto!!!

IMG_3284.jpg

They're still on the rock, but they are due to hatch tomorrow I think. So these guys are a no go :(

I just started my rotifer eggs. They should hatch in 24 to 72 hours. Catherine, they are Brachionus plicatillis, if you want to look them up in your book.

Right now they are just in a shallow plastic dish with some water. After 24 hours, I am supposed to feed them and after 72 hours, I am supposed to transfer them into a larger container (I am going to use soda bottles for these guys).

Hey, Biff, your roti's are in my book! Evidently, they are of the Monogononta class. They have a cylically parthenogenetic life cycle which contains both asexual and sexual phases. They stay asexual until food, population density, and the absence of physiological stress are just right. Cool. There's more but you probably have it all worked out. Good luck with them!

Catherine

Thanks for the info Catherine! I'll have to read up on them some more.

According to my directions, I was supposed to feed the roti eggs *exactly* 24 hours after I hydrated them. Because of all my laptop drama, it was more like 30 hours before I got home and fed them! I hope they're okay. Fingers crossed.

I moved the rotis into a soda bottle last night, and fed them some more. I can't say for sure if they are alive and thriving, but the water in the rotifer bottle is a lot more brown than the water in the phyto bottles. It will still be a couple more days before all the eggs are supposedly hatched. Then I should have a good rotifer culture going.

Well, the last batch of eggs hatched and are long gone. I don't think my rotifers made it. I'm going to have to order live cultures online... :(

Back