Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread!

Biff, have you tested your RO water ppm levels lately? I was wondering if they have come down from 12 since youve had the unit for a while. I have the same one from PWC and just saw mine drop to 4. Just curious.

When I first saw the tank threads I thought it would be where only the person who started it could post. That way you could see the process over time without going through tons of post. I learned quickly I was wrong. So I try to keep updated on them daily so I don't have pages to go through.

part of the reason for having a showcase is for us to hear nice things about our tanks. If it was just pictures we couldn't read the good and the bad to help us improve.

Biff, have you tested your RO water ppm levels lately? I was wondering if they have come down from 12 since youve had the unit for a while. I have the same one from PWC and just saw mine drop to 4. Just curious.

I changed the filters about 2 months ago, so if they had dropped, they probably went back up a little again. But no, I haven't checked since September or so.

I'm gonna have to tear down the big tank. For the second time in only a few months, the tank has knocked out the power in the portion of the house that it is plugged in to. Last time the electrician came out, he suggested I set the tank up on its own separate circuit to keep it from happening again. But that's very pricey. So, it happened again. Came home from work tonight to find my power out. But only in the outlets where my tank equipment is plugged in. Resetting the circuit box does nothing. Last time, the electrician found that wires had caught fire in the wall. The inside of the wall was black and the wires were all melted together in a ball. I wonder if the same thing has happened AGAIN.

Anyways, I can't afford to keep calling an electrician out, especially if it's going to keep on happening.

I have the 12 gallon nano, that I want to move all my ricordeas to, and have a ricordea only tank. I can keep the sixline wrasse, firefish, and scissortail dartfish in that tank happily, I think.

I want to try to clean out my 55 gallon tank that's currently used as a sump and set that up again with my old 48" T5s. I can keep the pink-tail trigger, anthias, chromis, mandarins and leopard wrasse in that tank.

Jill will have to find a new home :(
My three other tangs (yellow, sailfin and kole) will have to find new homes :(
I will probably find new homes for my two pajama cardinals, blue damsel and yellow tailed damsel, because I think they'd be pushing it in the 55 with the other fish I've already decided it's a priority to keep :(

I'm probably missing a few fish on my list there, but it's a matter of being able to catch them too.

If I had my choice, I'd only keep the nano. But it's very important to me to keep the leopard wrasse and the trigger, and they wouldn't do well in the nano ;). So if I have to set up the 55 again just to keep those two fish, I will.

Damn! My two clowns too! I guess I'll find them a new home too :(

I'm sure I'll keep remembering more fish as I write up my "ad" on my local club forum...

Damn that really really sucks. I'm sorry. I wish you didn't have to do that. Ur tank was awesome and it will be sad to see it go. There isn't a possibility to down grade your lights or anything

you need a 120 gallon 48"x24", i like 4 foot tanks lighting is alot cheaper at 48" inches. I've seen one tank that was 48"x 36" it was awesome anything close to square tank is great don't know why but i really like them, Nanook on rc the moderator has an awesome square tank but it is like 300 something gallons. I would sell lights and tank and try to find something not so long and get some t5's with ind. reflectors, save alot of money on electric.

Damn Sarah, sorry to hear that. I'd love to help you out with livestock, but I can only imagine the money and hassle involved in getting a fish from AZ to Canada....

Consider a 120 like everyone said, then simplify. Go with a two part, and t5 lighting. I am running a 180 and it's all on one circuit fine.

Hang on a second. Let's not make this out to be more than it is. Yes new electric is pricey (except if you DIY) but not everyone has that capability. But I am sure you have more than one circuit in your place. THe simple answer is to look at your labels on your breaker box, find the next closest receptacle on a separate circuit, and run an extension cord to your high power draw items. Pump, PS, lights. Keep the powereads and whatever else on the existing circuit if it still works or if need be find a third seaprate circuit. Just an initial thought.

wow thats really a bummer. im really sorry to hear that. I really imagine you have played out any option you could have to keep it. or was this the initial reaction of frustration. Seems like you could potentially run everything just fine if you just downgraded your mh lighting.

Hang on a second. Let's not make this out to be more than it is. Yes new electric is pricey (except if you DIY) but not everyone has that capability. But I am sure you have more than one circuit in your place. THe simple answer is to look at your labels on your breaker box, find the next closest receptacle on a separate circuit, and run an extension cord to your high power draw items. Pump, PS, lights. Keep the powereads and whatever else on the existing circuit if it still works or if need be find a third seaprate circuit. Just an initial thought.

I currently have everything on two circuits. Half of the MH lights, T5 lights, the skimmer, and half of the powerheads on one. Half of the MH lights, the return pump, fuge, and other half of the powerheads on the other. Last time the power went out, it was all on one circuit, and everything got knocked out. This time, it's only the lights/skimmer half. So I guess even breaking the load up in half was too much for my system.

Yote, I have industrial strength power strips/surge protectors, made for workshops. I live in a townhouse, and share walls with my neighbors.

I will look into possible getting a larger 48" tank, that way I can keep more of my fish, but I only have the 4-bulb Current Nova Extremes. Those lights aren't really suitable for anything larger than my 55. I don't have the money to get anything new either, which is why I was just going to use my existing 55, lights, skimmer and fuge...

As for downgraded lights for the 240, it's all about the $$$ right now. Switching over to some retro'd T5s would save electricity costs, but I don't have any spare money right now to buy a new light setup.

Back