Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread!

i was just thinking that home owners insurance will pay for it because it is a hazard now what happens if that wire does start a fire shince it is still live somewere in the wall it may not be getting to the outlets but it still has power.

I currently have everything on two circuits. Half of the MH lights, T5 lights, the skimmer, and half of the powerheads on one. Half of the MH lights, the return pump, fuge, and other half of the powerheads on the other. Last time the power went out, it was all on one circuit, and everything got knocked out. This time, it's only the lights/skimmer half. So I guess even breaking the load up in half was too much for my system.

When you had the electrician in did he repair the wiring or just identify the problem? Thought #1 If he didn't repair it, maybe try a third separate circuit (run a cord down from upstairs or up from downstairs). Thought #2 Is something on that half (lights/skimmer) bad? It could be that the ps pump or maybe a light ballast is bad and causing the overload. It should be caught by the power strip but they aren't always reliable. I still think there is a solution that doesn't take Biff out of the Giant Tank Club.

Could things get even worse than they are already? You betcha!

Christmas Eve, NDB discovered that the RO unit had been leaking under the sink. Well, not the unit itself. But the valve that punches into the plumbing? Yeah, that thing. Everything under our sink was soaked. Who knows how long it had been leaking (it's not like I look under there all that often), but it was long enough to saturate our cabinets and ruin the cleaning supplies we had under the sink. No hardware stores were open Christmas Day, so we turned off the water and I went out today to buy the part that NDB says is broken.

Christmas Day (yesterday), I thought one of my stupid dogs was peeing on the floor in front of my tank. There was a puddle in front of the stand, and when it gets cold and rainy (like it has been), it's a fight to get my dogs to go outside. More than once, in bad weather, they've had an "accident" on the floor because poor little babies can't handle the harsh Arizona winters. This happened twice in one morning! I was so mad at the moron dogs. Until NDB comes over and is like, "That's not pee. Your tank is leaking". Greaaaaaaaaaaaat. Good news is, it's the sump. Yeah, the sump I was going to use as my main tank once I break down the 240. Bad news is, it's leaking fast from the bottom, and I don't have anything to stop it. So I just wrapped the sump in towels (the stand is pretty soaked too). Tonight NDB is going to help me drain the sump and we are going to silicone around the edges.

So where are we now?

No electricity in the dining room.
No water in the kitchen.
Water on the dining room floor.

Yay for saltwater aquaria!

Last edited:
Wow thats just a string of bad luck. I had the leak under the sink for me as well but luckally I caught mine pretty early.

Im sorry to hear about all of that.

That sux Biff.
But it'll get better.If we did hit a string of bad luck every once in while,we'd never know when we was having good luck.

Man that bites but yote is right. Not that it helps now. I hope things get better for you lady....all of that sounds awful.

Wow Biff sorry to hear of your troubles as of late. Just roll with the punches and and things will be back to be hunky dory before you know it.

Oh I've chosen just to ignore the problems :) Still no water in the kitchen, still a leak from the sump. But if I don't go in those rooms, I don't even notice it, right?

Sounds good to me, I mean if you can't see it, it must not be there. See the what's your favorite drink thread for several ways to assist with this. 6 parts alcoholic beverage plus one part diverted attention and one part change of scenery = no worries!! Modify parts of alcoholic beverage as needed. Relax and enjoy! Happy Holidays and all that stuff.

Well, I worked on the sink a bit this morning, and at least now I can wash dishes! The RO leak under the sink appears to be fixed... I'll make NDB double check it when he gets home. I've had a fan blowing on the cabinets since yesterday, and the wood looks like it's drying out too. But it's really really warped. We'll have to see what we want to do about that. As for the tank leak... As long as I change the towels around it every 24 hours, it's no biggie!! :frustrat:

Yeah, I mean, I've been wanting new kitchen cabinets since I moved into this place, but...not after I just spent a whole lot of $$$ on Christmas...

Grrrrr since my sump is leaking, I don't really want to risk changing it back to my main tank like I had originally planned. I don't trust my DIY skills that much... So I think I'll head to my LFS today to see if they have any 48" tanks I can take home instead of trying to fix the 55 and rely on it to hold up as a display tank. Plus, the 55 isn't drilled and I really really really would prefer to have a drilled tank.

I checked Craig's List, but the only tanks they had were previously freshwater and came with EVERYTHING that I don't need, and don't want to pay for. And since they're freshwater, they're not drilled.

My LFS usually has a couple used tanks and stands for sale, and I'm pretty sure I could haggle for a discount.

Stupid hobby.

My 48" T5s are only the 4 bulb Nova Extremes, but I think that'll be just fine, since I plan on staying away from SPS in the near future anyways. My clams will have to toughen up :) I'm not worried about them, I've had them for years and they have been through a lot of rough conditions in my tank!

Last edited:
Back