Bob's Ghetto Build!

yeah, its getting covered with sand though, I read of some people doing it so your rock sits on it instead of your glass and I liked the idea

yeah, its getting covered with sand though, I read of some people doing it so your rock sits on it instead of your glass and I liked the idea
Might be OK under the rock ONLY, but your creating a dead zone along the entire bottom of your tank. Even within a deep sand bed, water circulates. It won't circulate inside the little squares of egg crate.
I personally wouldn't do it. 20 years now and I never had live rock crash thru the bottom of my tank.

I am starting to lose my cool......plumbing sucks when you can't find anything. I had to use standard ball valves instead of true union, I had to use ferncos instead of unions.I have no head room, and my sump is too f@$%in tall! Finally get it all together, and one bulkhead is leaking! Ok, rant over. I am going to take the bulkhead apart later, and lube it a bit with KY, then torque it back down. Good thing is, tank is full, sump is full, and neither leak!

I wasn't big on those bulkheads to begin with, they are threaded and I would rather have had a slip fit. Try to find a bulkhead up here though. Oh well, I'll get it tight tomorrow and never touch it again.....lol

It always makes for a great day when the plumbing has a drip.
Glad to hear its all coming together though.

Just drill a 1/8" hole right above the water line on the return.That will be enough to break a siphon and keep you from having a flood.
How much water did you loose before you caught it?

Only a few gallons....lol, I was right there, but It happened twice before I figured out what was going on! the first time I panicked and turned the return back on. Once everything was normal, I shut it off, and it happened again. I had already planned on drilling a hole, wasn't sure if thats what everyone else did, but it made sense to me

You can always put a check valve in.But they can stick open,or not completely shut the siphon off.My returns got the hole,and it never back siphons.

Well, built some stockman's nice and quiet and keep up to my mag 9.5 easily. Topped up tank then simulated a power failure, lots of room in the sump. Everything is running and looking good!

UPANDRUNNING003.jpg

Sump running, filled to max

UPANDRUNNING013.jpg

Power failure mode

UPANDRUNNING011.jpg

The Octo in action!

UPANDRUNNING015.jpg

I was wondering, do you have a drain on each side of the sump? As in one on the fuge and one in with the skimmer? No bubble trap? I wonder if i should do the same? It would make it easier to run my 2nd drain pip and wouldnt be all that hard to move my return pump to my second bay. If you would take a look at my build thread and c what you think.

Yeah, a drain on each side. Seems to work well, but this is my first big tank. I only put a bubble trap on the skimmer side

Back