Bob's Ghetto Build!

Well, the tank has been up for a little less than 48hrs, and I figured I'd empty the skimmer. Mostly sediment from the live sand I added, but funny thing.....it smelled HORRID. My remora never stunk like that, regardless of how dark it was.
I received my lighting from Catalina today, and so far pretty much like I expected, with a few exceptions. All the pics I saw had really clean plastic endcaps, with a place to load fans, and a tray with a nice 1/4" thick acrylic splash shield. I got none! The end pieces are tin, with sharp edges to boot, and no shield whatsoever! No place to put fans, no place to put a shield even if I made one. One of the pieces is bent already. It's not the end of the world, and the rest of the light looks solid and well built, but those endpieces give it a really cheap look I don't like. Two broken bulbs, but they were two 460's he sent as extras, my whole set came intact. I emailed and inquired about the endpieces, my only guess is they were out of stock, and used the tin to get the light out? Hopefully he can do something. Other than that, light looks awesome! 8bulb, 12 blue dimmable moonlights. I'm happy, and their stock bulbs look really nice. I have no idea of the par, but they have the exact look I like, no pink, but not really yellow either (at least not to my eyes). Anyways, here's some pics

The Box!
lighting068.jpg

Well packaged, even though two bulbs broke. Actually had a wood top

lighting070.jpg

The relflectors, They are actually formed individually, not true individual reflectors. however they seem to be more "individual" than other formed reflectors I've seen. Endcaps are apparantly the same as teks.....

lighting072.jpg

Not mine, but what I was expecting for endcaps

light.jpg

And what I got

lighting088.jpg

Actinics only, these pics don't do the light colour justice, I'm really happy

lighting083.jpg

full lighting

lighting091.jpg

My pile of rock

lighting090.jpg

thats all for now gang

Yeah my skimmer REAKS! That light looks nice even with the not so great end pieces. I would bitch pretty good about them anyways.

Man i was planning on getting those lights but wow what happened? Those reflectors dont look individual to me. Also the end caps are terrible looking(no offense) What happened to the plastic ones like on the other fixture? im very interested on what happens here melon I really wanted to get these lights, but i would like to see what they do about your end caps. Other than that i love the sleek design and how great the aquarium looks with the lights on.

Like I said the reflectors are not individual, they are much like the novas, only even more contoured. The pic doesn't show it well, but they do wrap around each bulb, with the bulb sitting "inside" the groove. I have no doubt it will perform like individual reflectors.

Melon,the color of the tank looks awesome to my eyes.

Are those 60'' bulbs staggered in a 72'' fixture?Odd,but looks like it will work just fine.

Did you double check to make sure they're the lights you ordered? The tank looks good with them though.

They are the lights I ordered, and I'm not trying to bash them, they look really nice and in comparasion to other fixtures that size I got a steal. They are bright, great colour, and after running for three hours the fixture wasn't even as warm as my 36" Nova extreme with the fans running. I just think those endcaps look like crap. I've contacted Catalina, we'll see what they have to say

Last edited:
If I'm going to pay out my money for something,I dang sure better get what I saw on the website.
Does make the tank look great.But They'd be replacing those endcaps.

Aquascaping Sucks!!!!

It's the one part of the hobby I've never been big on. I am not the artsy type, so I'm not very creative. I like how it turned out as far as caves etc. for swimming, but I'm not sure there are alot of horizontal surfaces to place stuff. Give me your imput, I'm sure I'll tear it down and start over anyways. I can't believe thats 90lbs, I'm not sure another 100 will do it!

aquascaping009.jpg

aquascaping001.jpg

aquascaping002.jpg

aquascaping006.jpg

aquascaping005.jpg

Wow if that is 90lbs it sure doesnt look like another 100lbs will do it! Itll be interesting to c what you can do with the rest of your rock! Good luck.

Make an island similar on the left,then connect the two with a bridge.That's all I can come up with.Your right,that doesn't look like 90lbs.

It definately is though, I weighed it when I got home. The three bottom pieces are fairly dense, the rest are nice and light though

Back