Bob's Ghetto Build!

Maybe a bigger island in the center.And one just a tad smaller on the left with a bridge between those 2.
If thats 90lbs of rock,your gonna need at least another couple a hundred.

I think I have it bundled too tightly together, especially for big fish. If I could do the same thing but spread it out over a wider area.............

its not hard, just put all the rock against the back wall and that will help make caves since if you make tunnel like things with the rock and put it against the back wall itll create big caves

it looks good so far bob. i have about 250 lbs and i dont think its enough for me. i am adding another 40 or so in my sump in a couple weeks, got it in a trash can in my bathroom right now. i like the solitary island idea. for the bigger fish you could make a more open cave and archway area on the other side. try to keep all your rock 3-4 inches off all the walls to make sure there is water flow around all the sides, thats one of the things i messed up on in a few spots last time i aquascaped. and i dont think ill redo it until i move again. its just way to hard once you have an established sustem.

I think I have it bundled too tightly together, especially for big fish. If I could do the same thing but spread it out over a wider area.............

Depends on how many small fish you plan on.
Smaller fish and stars like tight places that make it harder for predators to get through.

MY GOD I'm bored! Watching tanks cycle is like watching paint dry or grass grow, of glaciers melt. Only slower. It's like waiting for the leafs to win a stanley cup........

Have I said I'm bored?

My mag 18 seems perfectly matched for the tank, everything runs wide open, but not noisy or anything. However, because of the velocity of the drains now, I have alot of microbubbles and they go through the baffles too fast. I was thinking of a plastic collander full of rubble right under the drains?

Update on the light. I contacted Catalina, and they do not make plastic endcaps for that fixture. I even offered to pay for a pair. I'm guessing its the size? Anyways, that bummed me out, but really I am still happy with the lights. I got it for 600 total shipped with bulbs, there isn't anything out there close to that price for 640W of t5 with dimmable moonlights. The reflectors are contoured, not individual, but the bulb actually sits inside, so you are getting VERY close to the same effect. Trust me, its bright as hell. The moonlights are awesome, theres 12 in there. I will mount my own splash shield and all will be well. I broke two legs, but that was entirely my fault, trying to move a 72" light by myself. Either way, catalina has already sent out a new set of legs, plus a hanging kit, and replacements for the two bulbs broke in shipping (which weren't even part of my set, he just sent 460s for me to try). For the price, I would recommend them, and hopefully they will take my advise and make improvements for future buyers

Well, another trip to Toronto and another batch of rock! I got 92 lbs this time. It's bali rock and its very light. It took up alot of tank, I'm sure I won't need more considering I still have 50 in my small tank. Lots of gunk on this stuff too, wouldn't be surprised if I found some hitchhikers along the way! Tons of holes, caves and really neat stuff, I'm impressed! Heres some pics......

rocksecondbatch001.jpg

This is how you bribe a 4 year old to spend 10 hours round trip in a car

rocksecondbatch004.jpg

She thinks I'm nuts, yet she sticks around

rocksecondbatch009.jpg

This is the stuff!

rocksecondbatch043.jpg

rocksecondbatch047.jpg

rocksecondbatch059.jpg

This one actually has three shelves, you can't make it out, but it's awesome
rocksecondbatch061.jpg

rocksecondbatch051.jpg

Full tank shots, no scaping done, but I think there is enough rock now!
rocksecondbatch062.jpg

rocksecondbatch063.jpg

rocksecondbatch064.jpg

Thats all for now folks! Trip was awesome, staff was awesome, and Ashton couldn't have behavied better! Everyone is burned out except for me!!!!

Last edited:
Things are looking GREAT bob, I really like everything. The sign is hilarious too.

EDIT You need to have biff change your title because this is DEFINATELY not a ghetto build.

Last edited:
Its Bali rock, I know nothing about it other than its alot lighter than the fiji I already have, and I think it looks awesome. There was literally tons of this stuff, and I got it for 5/lb which is a total steal up here. My lfs charges 12/lb, and he told me 9.95 since I'd be buying a hundred. I drove four hours one way instead!

Thats why I called it my ghetto build, not necessarily cheap, but everything I find I strive to find a deal on.

Total counting what I have in my 46 puts me at 230lbs in a 180. Hopefully, I can make it look good, otherwise I'll cherry pick pieces here and there

Looks like the whole bunch had an awesome day and got some great looking rock to boot.
The tank looks great like it is.But we all know the scaping wont stay in that formation.It'll have to be changed around at least 100 times.:mrgreen:

everyone likes the scaping, maybe I should just leave it that way. Actually, I just threw it all in the tank cause it was 9:30 at night. I didn't actually place a single rock.....lol

Back