Building my own nano: w/pics!

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
So I have a 20g TALL sitting in my garage, I want to make it into a nano species tank for a spearer mantis I was asking questions about on the invert forum.

outline.jpg

What im thinking is just standard nano design w/ either a 2 stage or 3 stage filtration.

outline2.jpg

For fun, and for something to do ill update with pics on how everything is going, including costs and such. :bounce:

well im just gnna let this thread die out due to me grabbing a 200g tank that needs some tlc. Ill start a thread on that one as soon as i get it.

What truly defines what is or isn't a nano tank. Must it be stand alone tank. Does that mean in you alls opinion no sump, no extenal skimmer, no external filter. Does that mean only what fits in side the confines of the tank is allowed to call it a nano. Do you think it would be fair of me to set up a nano tank with a , heater sump/refugium and maybe a small skimmer. A minature real tank set up. Would you all consider that a nano. Or a nano with just a sump containing a heater and no skimmer. I really do not loke power heads and this would allow sensible volume ad less obtrusive circulation. It would be nice to have a minature reef tank next to my computer monitor.

To me a nano is anything self contained and less the 20g. I guess. EDIT***Lol i just realezed in my sig i have "24g nano" so ummmmm a nano is 24g and lower imo =P. Its anything you want it to be

Anyways I finally finished my nano build.

worlds_smallest_fish.jpg

Nano just means that it's small. I don't think there are any stipulations on how you filter it.

I have a 30g tank that I consider small, but not really nano. I'm not using a sump, but it has a very large HOB refugium with a built in skimmer.

I know, I can put up a little nano with a big hidden sump and skimmer, then not tell Biffer. Then I will put twice as much stock in my nano as her newbie can safely put in his nano. Do you think I would be found out. Hee, hee!

Little do you know... I could very easily plumb our nano into our 300 gallon system! I'll keep like 18 fish in my 12 gallon nano. And they will love it.

Got a 1000 gallon RO water holding tank, but its just not the same. Oh well, never mind. I would like a Nano with a sump though. It would be nice to jut glance over from the computer screen, rather than have to turn almost completely around to see a large tank across the room. It would even give me an excuse to get a couple fish. That would be different.

Back