Bulk Reef Supply - Two Part Solution?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Anyone try or use this two part? I don't really feel like buying reactors and stuff like that at this time, I'm already learning a ton of new stuff, and I figured I'd stick with a two part for now. I ordered a batch and it arrived today. There is enough to do about 8 gallons of alk and calcium, and a whole lot of magnesium too! This cost me about 125 dollars shipped to Canada, so less than I can get 3 gallons of b-ionic for. Just wondering what everyones take is on it

This is basically a DIY, 125 dollars for 8 gallons of each, plus magnesium? I don't really see that as a ton of money? Curious about this Randy holmes though

All the stuff Randy mentions in his 2 Part solution is the stuff you buy from BRS.

Just save yourself some $ and don't buy the alk part. All it is is baking soda. Buy yourself a 5 lb bag of Arm & Hammer and your good to go. The calcium is good from them and so is the magnesium.

It would be if you can find a calcium product made by Dow before 2007. Starting in 2007, Dow stopped a process in it's calcium chloride production which removed bromide. Now all the calcium made by Dow, which is virtually every calcium chloride product available to the general public, has extremely high levels of bromide. It's not recommended to use it in a 2 part solution. I knew about this change DOW was making, so I bought 150 lbs of Dow Flake. I'm good for a few decades.

If you can find MagFlake by Dead Sea Works locally, that is what BRS sells. I couldn't find the mag anywhere locally, so I bought it from BRS. That specific product was tested for impurities by Randy. There may be other magnesium products that work, but none that have been tested. You can use epsom salts to raise mag, but not alone if using a 2 part solution. You have the potential of adding too many chlorides.

I buy Arm & Hammer in the big 5 lb bags from Sams Club.

Where would you even find this magflake stuff from Dead Sea Works? What kind of place would carry that, what else is it used for?

The local guys bought a pallet of DowFlake. Its available to me when I need it.
Just make sure the bag doesn't say DowFlakeXtra...that is the new high bromide stuff.

Where would you even find this magflake stuff from Dead Sea Works? What kind of place would carry that, what else is it used for?
It's used as an ice melt and for dust control. Some Sears Farm stores sell it. Any place that sells ice melt products can possibly carry it.
You can also get it from Buckeye Field Supply.

That's cool. I bought mine right when the change over was happening. The builder supply store I got mine from had about 1/2 pallet of the old stuff and about 50 pallets of the new stuff. I bought 3 50lb bags. They were $13 each. :)

Back