Cannister filters for saltwater

You can add the dry rock right to the tank. The bacteria living on the sand and fake coral piece will multiply and colonize the dry rock, making it live.

My favorite place to buy dry rocks is MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

And a good way to make coralline spread is to rub it with a brush (or on another rock), that will release the spores.

Although, I have noticed that there is coraline algae all over on the fake rock which bloomed early this year.
So with dry rock there is no cycling correct? There won't be any spikes in my water parameters that may harm the fish?

Thank you, little fish, for the back up. I would hate to give someone the wrong information.

That is correct, with dry rock you will not have a cycle. It will become live over time.
Good Luck.

Your fake rock will have to have millions of tiny crevices and passages in it like dead hard coral skeletons. That is what life rock is, basically. It is those millions of places the bacteria and other good reef friends live. .. so.. most likely ..NO

So can I use plastic tubs instead of a glass aquarium to make a sump? The plastic has no impact on the system? Will the plastic break down over time due to the salts?

Many use plastic tubs from wallymart.. it is about space and money... be sure it isn't too thin as the clear plastic totes I have bought lately all seem to split at the bottom. I have my RODI change water being made in a 30gallon black urethane trash can.. this sucker is tough.. and cheap. Black urethane is made from recycled urethane and is black by law.. so it aids in the green planet too. I think black urethane tubs come in several sizes. Your chambers could be smaller containers inside the tub. No one or rule says they have to be lined up nice and square.

So can I use plastic tubs instead of a glass aquarium to make a sump? The plastic has no impact on the system? Will the plastic break down over time due to the salts?

As long as you get the heavier duty rubbermaids you should be fine. I'd also try and find one that is safe for potable water if possible. You'll also want to avoid anything that's marketed as 'anti-bacterial' as those have been treated with a chemical that will cause issues for aquariums

i've read that when there are power outages the sump can overflow and flood the room. what can be done to prevent this?

Just make sure the normal water level in the sump is low enough to accommodate the overflow water coming from the sump when the pumps shut down.

Do you think it would be ok to use a 5 gal sump for my 44 gal tank due to cabinet space restrictions? Would I have any problems?

Last edited:
Well...the bigger the better. I'm sure u can fit a 10 gallon under ur stand. A 5 gallon might not be enough room to fit a skimmer but u can get a hang on skimmer and a heater. U want to be able to fit more rock down there. Also the more room u have to grow macro algae the better.

The only problem is my cabinet dimensions are 11.5" wide x15"depth x 20" high. The 10 gal tanks are too legnthy

Is there some way you could get one of those plastic water jugs that go on the water fountains and cut off the top. This would give you a tall tank. You could silicone a glass bubble trap set in the center. Then you could put the return pump in one side, the tank overflow in the other side and add cheato to the overflow side... with perhaps some live rock in both sides. You could run a light in the cabinet at night to buffer the pH, etc.

Or something like that.. :D

AND a 5 gallon tank is better than none.. you don't HAVE TO have a skimmer.. it you do water changes every two weeks... and with a 44 that is not so much work. .

I have a spare pump fastened to a short water hose.. I drop it into my tank and have fashioned a clip to hold it. Then I put the other end in the toilet with a clip that holds it and doesn't let it touch the water or the rim. When my tank is down to my mark I reverse the set-up and drop the pump into my RODI change water "urethane trash can" , put the other end in the tank and pump mixed new salt water into my tank. My changes are about 27 gallons and I do them in about 10 minutes and leave almost zero mess to wipe up.

Last edited:
In that case...I would go with a hang on back skimmer for ur display tank, and use as much of ur 5 gallon sump to grow cheato. Just a small intake and just a big enough return chamber to fit ur return pump. Make sure u make bubble traps. I would do minimal rock in the fuge, bare bottom, utilize as much space as possible to grow macro. The only thing I don't like about hob skimmers though, is that they tend to spit micro bubbles in ur tank every once in a while. Is there a possibility u can have ur sump outside of ur stand? Like behind it? Or beside it? I have a 65 gallon tank with a 55gallon sump. My sump right on the other side of the wall from my display tank, I have a couple of small holes drilled in the wall to run the plumbing.

So what kind of pump would I need as far as GPH to put into the sump for the outflow? Also, I'm not sure I understand the concept of an overflow box and how it mechanically moves water into the sump.

i would go with at least 500 gph. i think a mag 5 would b good. check out bulkreefsupply.com . u should look up... diy pvc overflow on youtube.

Sump/refugiums are the way to go, stay away from those blue bio balls. They can lead to nitrate issues down the road.

Back