Cannister filters for saltwater

Measure your space. then...PetCo is having their $1 per gallon sale.. ... that is how I grabbed my 20 long frag build tank.

What is a good protein skimmer for a 60 g tank? I have a SeaClone 100 and its the only one Ive had since I opened my tank Oct of 2011.

What is a good protein skimmer for a 60 g tank? I have a SeaClone 100 and its the only one Ive had since I opened my tank Oct of 2011.

Reef octopus makes great skimmers that aren't terribly expensive. Are you looking for an HOB skimmer or in sump skimmer?

For your size tank I think a reef octopus would be a very good skimmer, and still reasonably priced. It is what I would recommend and what I would purchase for my tank, and I think many people here would agree! Aquacave has a pretty nice selection of the various reef octopus skimmers. Just double check the dimensions of your sump to make sure whichever one you choose will fit - I made the mistake of not doing so and then had to buy another sump because the one that came with my tank wasn't wide enough!

Also look at aquacave.com and bulkreefsupply.com all are good online vendors but sometimes you'll find one site have a sale or a deal on shipping.

Also look at aquacave.com and bulkreefsupply.com all are good online vendors but sometimes you'll find one site have a sale or a deal on shipping.

And if you join at Bulk Reef Supply we have our group sale going on.. you just join and then E-mail them that you want in on the LivingReeds forum group sale.. and then when you log on you get the group price.. and can still back out before you purchase.. so that means you can compare the price to a non-group price somewhere else.. .. that was a mouth full... You have until the 14th to make the purchase and they said you can join anytime during this group thing.

The only skimmer I've tried is the Seaclone 100 and it works fantasically for the price....until it leaks 1 yr later at the J-tube:D

The only skimmer I've tried is the Seaclone 100 and it works fantasically for the price....until it leaks 1 yr later at the J-tube:D

I've heard a lot of people say that.... until they get a good skimmer like a reef octopus and suddenly they realize just how bad the seaclone was! And the seaclones aren't that cheap... I just bought an HOB reef octopus thats rated for 100g and includes an extra filter chamber for $165. If I'd gotten the model that didn't have the extra chamber, it would have been $124. That's not much more than the seaclone. Just sayin' :)

OK everyone, being this is the first time shopping around for overflow boxes, I know they work by siphoning the water. Do they have an electrical component/motor as well?

I've heard a lot of people say that.... until they get a good skimmer like a reef octopus and suddenly they realize just how bad the seaclone was! And the seaclones aren't that cheap... I just bought an HOB reef octopus thats rated for 100g and includes an extra filter chamber for $165. If I'd gotten the model that didn't have the extra chamber, it would have been $124. That's not much more than the seaclone. Just sayin' :)

Where did you find this good deal? I've looked at Dr. Foster's & also petsolutions and the cheapest I found is $180 for the 100 gal.

Look at the reef octopus HOB skimmers at Aquacave.com. I got mine at a local LFS but it was almost the same price as aquacave. I've found aquacave has the best selection of higher end equipment and reef octopus skimmers. I also always look at the three or four big sites to find the best deal (bulkreefsupply, fosters-smith, aquacave, and marine depot)

For overflow boxes, are you talking about HOB overflow boxes? If so, they work on a siphon, but you can buy a small pump that will restart your siphon if it fails. I've heard they run around $15 but other than that can't tell you which pumps they are - a higher end LFS might know or maybe someone else here! I personally put a float switch in my sump to turn off my return pump in the event my siphon fails.

Last edited:
We understand you are fish only, but LR is so much better of a way to go.

The sump can be most any size.. and it can be of something that will fit your space.. the shape and method is numerous .. to whatever fits. The main idea is to have an overflow.. you have been doing that to run a canister.. and tank of some shape that can house cheato to grow with a strong cheap light. That way algae nutriments are consumed in the sump and less in the tank.

Then you stop buying filter media.. and let nature do what it does best.

There are plenty of members on here who can take you through at baby steps. Some forum members use containers they got at wallymart for their sumps.

Will a 10 gallon tank fit in the cabinet?

Those are frequently given away at garage sales or nearly given away. One pet shop chain sometimes has aquarium tanks on sale for $1 per gallon during promotions.

How was the water moved into and out of your canister?

Pictures will help loads... we really WANT to help... we enjoy it.

Look around in the DIY section to see what you can find about home made sumps here in this forum. Here is the link: ...... Do It Yourself (DIY)

Thanks! I will post pics of my tank as soon as I can.:D

It depends on the type of overflow box if you need a aqualifter pump. If its the cpr design then you attach a aqualifter if its the eshops design (has a u tube) you dont need one. I like the cpr design it pulls more water and I like the idea that the aqualifter keeps the siphon bubble free. Doesnt hurt that there is a Chinese knock off with the cpr design that is really cheap....

Back