Chaos's First Salt 20g

So yea i did a stupid last night i did water tests and all and my nitrates were high again so i did the fast nitrate reduction method but I forgot to unplug my heater so it blew up of course. I had to make a 2 am trip to walmart to realize i already knew they dont sell adjustable heaters so i just got the tetra whisper heater rated for a 20 gallon and i hope it works untill i can get a heater tomorrow if it works well enough i may just order one and get a shatter proof lol. BTW i didnt realize how hard it is to clean glass out of sand I hope i got it all. Although while i was cleaning the sand i found this large pod about 10 mm in length or so it was cool i thought i had no pods lol.

Thanks! I just added a candy cane coral the other day also. Was kind of lazy with pictures though ill take some at some point. It broke off a limb in the bag and it glued it to a rock both peices look to be doing great opening for food when the tank is fed and all.

What is the best way to take care of algae growing amidst corals? On my bubble corals skeleton ironically i have bubble algae growing and i want to get rid of it before it ends up pushing the coral back and killing it so far its pretty isolated so it only has 2 small bubbles currently. Is there a way to get rid of it without hurting the coral?

awesome fish. when I pictured it my head I kept seeing a lawnmower blenny looking thing. but, that midas blenny is much, much nicer.

So yea i should really have listened when buying my protein skimmer lol it just stopped foaming lol for DAYS. My dad just recently bought a used CPR backpack i put that on for now and its pulling ALOT of skimmate and it just went on lol. Im probably going to plumb the two twenties together to a sump and put a superskimmer in there that should do it for both tanks I hope. For the next tank i have already picked out a recirc. octopus skimmer i dont want crap happening in that thing. My dad did unexpected construction down here and i think concrete dust and sheetrock dust got into the tank. The midas blennie (Roger) is quite sick now has ick and is being listless today always swimming up at the top of the water. I hope he gets better

Last edited:
Roger has died and the bubble coral isnt opening and and and.. The clowns are ok and the candy cane is too but jeezzzzzz My dad lost 2 fish also something is BAD. What brands of RO filters do you guys suggest? We didnt realize this till a few days ago but the RO filter we have has no DI lol. not a good thing as i think that peice of turd is just crap because i can buy that with the holding tank and all and its $125 when you actually look at it its a 3 stage because it has a Sed filter and 2 carbons then an Oder/taste carbon before going to the spout and thats what i recently changed we accidently plumbed in on the wrong side to add a new hose for filling and we werent going through that last oder/taste filter i think that was a bad mistake.

Last edited:
So now that one of the clownfish is dying I am lead to believe that all of these problems are contaminants getting into the water from my father always having to remove sheetrock somewhere near my tanks. They are currently in a quarantine tank and were doing fine I was no longer medicating since all the brook was gone and it had been about a week since no medication had been in the tank water params were good and all. Then my dad broke sheetrock in the room with the tank and that day one fish had brook again and now two days later is gilling and not swimming. If my fish die i may just stop this hobby until I can better gaurd them from my dads retarded constant destroying.

Tank update:
I have increased my water volume by plumbing both of the twenty gallons together with a 300gph fountain pump and a PVC tube made with 2 elbows to attach the tanks together works great and water levels are always equal.

Since there wasn't any fish in the tanks all of the algae just stopped and when i added the right tank in i moved my chaeto into the frag tank and my nitrates dropped to 0. Since this has happened my calcium is dropping 20ppm a day so for now i am dripping kalk although I currently have an alkanity problem sitting at 4 dKh if I drip the kalk any faster i go over 500ppm of calcium and I dont want any precipitation of calcium carbonate in my tank besides my sand anyway lol.

Since the fish have been removed they did die a few days ago :( not very happy about that but thats what i get for misdiagnosing I purchased a fish disease and treatment book which i like very much. My dad is also keeping his fish alive now amazingly because he has been reading alot on the internet about fish diseases and has really been taking care of his fish. So saying that he bought a 6 inch maroon clown and put it in my frag tank and now my nitrates are at about 10ppm but the fish has been there for 2 weeks and the level is now coming back down. Dripping kalk above my protein skimmer also reduced my phosphates down to nothing which i believe is helping my calcium reduction quite a bit.

Also i bought a Long Tentacle Anemone i studied on that what and decided it was ok since it is sand dwelling and shouldnt end up on my rocks near my corals. I also believe one of the mushrooms from the first time i bought coral is still alive and VERY bleached under my rock i am thinking of putting it on a rock with a rubberband to get it to attach and get some color back in it. I think its still alive anyway it expands and retracts with the lights still so i think thats a living sign.

Well thanks for reading and Im off to start making some saltwater to replenish trace.

Back