Chaos's First Salt 20g

I think my shrimp has died, i havn't seen him since the night after i put him in. Probably didnt take acclimation well. Although i havnt seen anymore hydroids since i put him in maybe he did what i wanted him too lol. Ill probably go get a cleaner tomorrow since i just got paid

yea, thats when i have been looking. I didnt look at when i got it but its only been a week so i wont add another peppermint for a few more weeks but i do want a cleaner.

I didn't see my peppermint for the first month. I thought he was dead. now he comes out every now and then just to let me know he's still kick'in

Thought this was pretty dumb. I found a spider dead in my filter and a day later 5 snails died and now my coral beauty has ick. I really hate spiders hope the tank doesnt crash now.

Break out the test kits.
I doubt the spider had anything to do with your snails dieing and the coral beauty with ick.
Check everything starting with salinity and going all the way through.If those show OK,start checking temp,for stray voltage.Check every thing you can think of.

get ready to do a water change. I can't imagine a spider doing tons of damage. more likely the fish killed it when it hit the water. unless it was one of them African Bird Eating spiders, then you are screwed. Seriously, sounds like something else is going on. It could be that you stocked too many snails at the start of your tank and they starved. follow what yote said and if things are off, do a water change. if not, sit back and enjoy your tank. DON'T try to fish out your cora beauty it will get over the Ich in a week or two on its own

-Doc

Ok. Ive already done a large water change as my nitrates were skyrocketed i had a snail that died and i didnt see it and WOW was that bad about 160 ppm i did the fast nitrate reduction water change now all the params are ok, i still need to do another water change to bring the nitrates down more that still at about 20 ppm. Im trying to get ahold of some cheato but the last time i checked none of the fish stores around here carry it unless its in a bag of pods.

The spider was just behind the filter so it wasnt actually in the tank but water was passing by it so i figured maybe if had been in for awhile and rotting a few days maybe it had like toxins released. I also removed my filter as i dont want it to keep the nitrates up so now its just the foam filter on the protein skimmer.

Well i definently had way to many snails because i bought 8 when i went and got them and they were all mexican turbos, i was planning on putting some in my dads tank but he lost interest after his damsel died and now its nice and empty just sitting there evaporating water. But out of 8 of those snails there is 2 now i pulled alot of completely empty shells out and a one that was just dead and still there eww stinky thats what i have to say. Honestly i wasnt really paying that much attention to the tank just doing small water changes and feeding. I figured the crabs ate a few of those and it was cool to leave the shells but i think not. It is quite a bit harder than i thought it would be to balance things you have to do and a demanding hobby. Here is a list of things i have neglected that i believe can cause nitrate problems.

Snails dieing in the tank.
Not cleaning the powered filter floss
Not cleaning the Protein skimmer foam filter.
Not testing the water quality at all.
Overfeeding.
High algae growth due to not having light timers and falling asleep before turning the lights off.
Cleanup crew is lacking a detritus eater.

Along with all of this chemical imbalance all my mushrooms died, i had more algae then i have ever seen in my life, and it stunk really bad.

So this time im going to take it alot slower. Im going to get the coral beauty back to health, construct a saltwater mixing and storing container and a better way to change water.

Current changes I have done. I placed a calendar by the tank and tied a marker to it where i mark when i feed them and what maintenance i have done so i can see the last time i have done that. I also put light timers on and a battery backup that always has the koralia and water heater plugged into it for when the power company comes and turns my power off randomly to do maintenance for an hour and doesnt tell anyone.

with such a small tank, you only need to feed once every other day. that will help. only feed a tiny amount as the fish don't need a ton of food to survive. keep up with weekyl 10% water changes with RO water. cut down your light cycle to about 4 hours a day (unless all your corals died, then leave the light off for about a week).

8 turbos are way too many for that tank. 2 is all you need. Don't give up, it will get better

-Doc

Good to see that you have a plan. When I started my tank, I did the same thing with the calendar and wrote down whenever I did anything, that way it was an easy reminder of when to do things. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Im glad to say that the coral beauty is almost fully ick free just a remnant of the large spot on his side. The diatoms have almost all gone and a small cyano outbreak happened but its gone now. I took the powered filter off again and just running the protein skimmer and the nitrates dropped from 20ppm after the water change down to about 10ppm. Ive been feeding every other day and twice on that day with half a cube each time. Im thinking of getting some zoa's for myself for my birthday because i want some more pretty in the tank lol.

i went to the fish store again now that the tank is very stable and im liking how its doing. Another $133 adventure. LOL Pictures soon getting situated

Back