chichimom79's 60 gallon cube

Looking good! Your shrimp is huge! I think your monti's will be okay. Give the superman some time - maybe put it on the sand bed in the light and see what happens. I totally thought my sunset was a goner but it has recolored beautifully after a few months and now give full polyp extension. Seems like montis are really hardy and can come back even after they seem like they are gone. It shouldn't foul your water at all. My only suggestion would be to keep a close eye on your brain - the switch to LEDs can be a big adjustment and it might take your corals a few weeks to really acclimate. I'm super excited about your light though! What are those pink and green zoos/palys that you posted?

The zoas are Chuckies Bride. They are one of the zoas I bought from fast.

I have the light running at about 50% on both channels right now, and I will slowly ramp it up until I find the sweet spot for my less light lovers. Thank you for your info about the montis. My rainbow hasn't been looking so hot either. I hope I can figure out the problem and fix it. Fingers crossed it was the metal halide they were hating. Do you have any idea why yours wasn't doing well?

So I was under the impression that the two channels were dimming knobs. I guess they only control the spectrum? Can someone explain this to me please? I guess the spectrum of light is ok regardless of where the knobs are set?

Never mind, fast answered me on another thread. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn anything up.

But thanks for the responses ;)

Thank you for your info about the montis. My rainbow hasn't been looking so hot either. I hope I can figure out the problem and fix it. Fingers crossed it was the metal halide they were hating. Do you have any idea why yours wasn't doing well?

I had mine in my 10g and they bleached over the summer - it could have been any combination of things in that tank - too much light (or so I thought at the time though now wonder if it was too little light after getting my Par readings back), temp swings, flow - who knows! I moved them to my 90 on a whim back in July just to see what would happen and they've recolored over time (both superman and sunset), and now both show fully polyp extension and are growing. They looked totally bleached before. Also, my purple cap turned almost all white after the carpet cleaning incident a few weeks back, but has begun to recolor (!!) so I think if there is some color retained on the montis then they will come back once the zooxanthella have time to reproduce and repopulate the coral. At least that's my hypothesis.... maybe someone else with more knowledge of these things can chime in! :)

I had mine in my 10g and they bleached over the summer - it could have been any combination of things in that tank - too much light (or so I thought at the time though now wonder if it was too little light after getting my Par readings back), temp swings, flow - who knows! I moved them to my 90 on a whim back in July just to see what would happen and they've recolored over time (both superman and sunset), and now both show fully polyp extension and are growing. They looked totally bleached before. Also, my purple cap turned almost all white after the carpet cleaning incident a few weeks back, but has begun to recolor (!!) so I think if there is some color retained on the montis then they will come back once the zooxanthella have time to reproduce and repopulate the coral. At least that's my hypothesis.... maybe someone else with more knowledge of these things can chime in! :)

The rainbow monti already looks happier today. I actually turned the light down to about 30 % on both channels. Everything looks amazing today. I am so thrilled with this light already!

A few new additions, observations, and questions..

I bought a few frags from a local reefer and then went to my LFS for some snails and came home with more than I had intended. LOL I couldn't get my camera to focus correctly for :pooh: today, so sorry about that, but we can't all be d2mini ;)

Purple monti cap
012-10.jpg

Zoa
013-7.jpg

Mushroom (please tell me this isn't one that will eat fish, unless it is, and then please tell me immediately! :D )
011-12.jpg

Crocea (has a crack in it's shell but seems very healthy. Will this heal? It looks like it's been like that for a while)
010-11.jpg

Brain just keeps looking happier <3
007-14.jpg

Love this shot. I have named him Mandy. I know- original...but it fits with the drag queen theme.
003-12.jpg

Also picked up 10 cerith snails and two turbo snails. The corals are loving the new light. Going up about 5% intensity every three or four days.

Back