Contest Ted

its a lps the guy at the shop said it was a type of brain coral. Can also be called a pineapple, boulder or moon coral.

ok I havent been very happy with my filtration. I have been having to many swings in ph. Because of that my zoahs havent been opening up as much as they where. So I got my dunce hat on and re-did the filtration. I got a old tetra tech hob filter out of the junk box and made a hob fuge out of it. I will see if this helps. One thing for sure I have a hell of alot more flow and this old filter even does wave action. The thing is so big that I cant use the cheapo hob skimmer their just isnt enough room. That should be ok because I have been doing weekly water changes and the skimmer wasnt pulling very dark skimmate anyway. Here some pics of the monster.

Attachments

• DSC00207.jpeg
    DSC00207.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC00208.jpeg
    DSC00208.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
i'm still a little surprised that you dont have any kind of a sump on this thing, that would double your total water volume, and give you a place for the skimmer and whatnot...

Well I have this problem.....Its called a wife I am trying to do this as cheap as possible so she will still give me "quality time" Another tank, a pump, overflow etc, etc cost money. What I just rigged up cost nothing. Oh and this filter holds at least a gallon of water if not more.

Oh and in the hour or so since my new creation the zoahs have opened back up. I dont know if the is because of the cheato (seems a little fast) or because the flow is so much more. This filter is rated at 330 gph however I am sure thats with nothing in it.I dont have the thing opened up all the way. But what the heck the worse thing that could happen is I go back to the old filtration.

Ok so I have been watching my tank when I havent been on here. Well I saw one of the slow moving snails hauling ass across this rock. When he cam more into view look at what I saw.

Attachments

• DSC00210.jpeg
    DSC00210.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 230
hot snail on crab action, normally you would have to pay $2.99 a min to get that!!!

oh, and i hear you about the thing called wife, i got yet another lecture about $$ last night, but this time i won, cause i had all the bank statements and receipts proving that i only spent my allowance, and that i didnt go over.. hehehe chalk one up for my team!

Ok yall you all know that this is my first time doing corals and I have a question. When I got the galaxy and the moon coral the lfs guy told me to feed them twice a week. I bought Kent Marine ChromaPlex and a baster thingy. The directions on the bottle says 2 tsp per 50 gallons of water into a high flow area. Then is says later target feeding is the most efficient method and to feed when the tentacles are out. Well the moon coral has these filter fan things that pop up every now and then but never out all the time. The galaxy just sways around alot. So when the heck do I squirt them and how much?

Oh and the old tetra tech filter I made into a fuge is a pf500 so max rate is 500 gph. I have it toned down some but it is a heck of a lot of water movement in the tank now. Especialy with the wave action on that thing. More water movement is better right? with the wave thing it is a very random pattern and really seems like true wave action you would see when snorkeling. I have the constant flow getting hit with the wave at a 90 degree angle.

Well if I remember correctly without looking back your moon coral is a type of favia. I have the same exact species. The deal is they have small tenticles that usually come out right about lights out sometimes you have to squirt food at it to truck them to come out. Make sure you turn flow off.

got something new. Here are a few :pooh: camera phone pics of whats in my tank. Oh by the way I just bought a sony a230 dslr for my wife for her anniversary present. Two years ago she ran a portrait studio so my pic should be getting a lot better in the not so distant future.

Attachments

• DSC00220.jpeg
    DSC00220.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00222.jpeg
    DSC00222.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00223.jpeg
    DSC00223.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC00224.jpeg
    DSC00224.jpeg