Contest Ted

Ok I have been a busy big gorilla this week. I didnt like how my favia was looking so I needed to move it and well with the way my tank was setup I really didnt have another place to put it. So I did what any dumb ass gorilla would do I re did all my rock. Ok not all but the left side and added some more base rock. Sorry project I had to chop the big rock you gave me in half. The dome shape just wouldnt hold anything on it without gluing it . Oh I also went to the lfs today and bought another sweet coral a nice Aussie acan lord so here are some crappy cell phone pics. By the way my wifes new dslr will be here thursday so my cell phone pic will soon be a thing of the past.

Attachments

• DSC00225.jpeg
    DSC00225.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC00226.jpeg
    DSC00226.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC00227.jpeg
    DSC00227.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00228.jpeg
    DSC00228.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC00229.jpeg
    DSC00229.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
and some more

Attachments

• DSC00234.jpeg
    DSC00234.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00233.jpeg
    DSC00233.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC00232.jpeg
    DSC00232.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC00231.jpeg
    DSC00231.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC00230.jpeg
    DSC00230.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 234
Well with the overwhelming response from my last post with 10 pics I guess I have everyone running scared. lol Ya right Anyway I though a acan would be a sweet addition to the tank. So I went ahead and did it . The bigger frags from this mother colony are going for $325 so at least if I can get it to grow could be a sweet coral to do frag swaps.

lookn good ted, oh, and the rock is yours, you do what you wanna with it, no harm ho foul, no hurt feelings or nothing.... no appology needed.

i gotta start working on some better shapes.... thoes domed and rounded ones arent the best for stacking.. i know... but wait till you see what i have up my sleve for the next batch i make.. hehehe

The long shelf ones are working out great. Now that I busted the other in half and have it in the tank I guess on its side now it seems to be just perfect. I have to admit I miss the big dome shape when I look at the tank now. Guess I will have to get use to it.

how did you break that one in half? i tried smashing a couple on the concrete and all i did was knock an edge off here and there....

First swing was a test swing see how hard it was. Second swing got it done. One of my many talents breaking the :pooh: out of stuff.

Hmm I dont get it. I post a bunch of pics (crappy cell phone ones) and talk about my new coral that i though was suppose to be a real sought after coral and I didnt get hardly any comments on it. Well project and I talked about the rock. But nothing on the actual coral. Did I make a bad choice? The bigger ones have a price tag of $300+ and we arent talking that much bigger maybe 4 times the size of what I got. Arent acan lords a "good" coral or did I screw the pooch on this one? :grumble:

i would love to talk about them, i just dont know enough to be able to say anything good or bad, its prety, thats about all i can say tho...

Thanks project. I would have thought that one of the other contest people would have said something. To be honest I have no idea what the heck I am doing. I went ahead and jumped into this full force with the idea that it would just come to me. But to be honest it hasnt. I look at my little tank all the time trying to see if stuff is doing ok but I couldnt tell if it is or isnt. I have tried target feeding no idea if has worked. They say turn off the flow and target feed. So thats easy enough but how long do you leave it off and just what the heck are you suppose to see. The galaxy I think eats, it kinda brings its arm things in. Not like hiding but different. The favia has some feather duster things that pop out and then go in but it does that all the time. Also its only in a few spots that it has these. I have no idea if every little circle is another mouth or are they spread out. I have looked all over the net cant seem to find out. If every circle is suppose to have them then is something wrong? And how do you feed blastos and this new arcan? I saw on u tube a video where this guy dropped pellets on them and on time lapse they kinda sank in the mouth. What kind of pellets or do I just keep trying to do this with mysis shrimp. I feel so clueless. :frustrat:

Oh and another thing I have been told to feed the coral twice a week but dont feed to much or you will get ammonia spikes. Well so far I havent had any problems with that but dang why so vague.

jus t target feed with mysis that will be fine. and yes each mouth needs to be fed. you are doing a great job with your nano. as far as your blasto i have never had one so i have no clue about them. and the acan loooks great i would love to get some but they are too spendy for me to order.

Thanks James. So how long do I let them eat? (power flow turned off) Also is their a best time of the day to feed? That arcan was for sell for 39.99 but I got it cheaper then that.:D

i dont turn my flow off i just feed the head a peice of mysis. that is all it needs you can just grab a shrimp with some tweezers and feed it that way or use a turkey baster and just shoot some shrimp at the head.

dude i just got my first zoas.. i'm just as clueless on that as you are... if you want to know about hydrothermodynamics, or quantum physics, or weather or not water will flow downhill through an overflow, i can help, but all this coral stuff.. i dunno....

Ted I feed my corals once a week. I use a mixture of Rotifers, Cyclops, Mysis Shrimp, and plankton mix. I turn of my pumps off for about 20 minutes when I feed. You can tell if the corals are feeding as they will open up and extend their polyps. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing it right as well. Sometimes they look as if they are feeding and sometimes they don't. I have tried varies methods in feeding as well as a large variety of foods. There is no one answer you just have to experiment with different things and find what works for your corals.

Back