~Crystal & James 29g w/15g sump~

LoveJC03

Reef Enthusiast
Well, we got our stand built. We even stained it black! I have to say, for a first time carpenter.. my honey did a pretty good job. We got a great deal on our 15 gallon at Petsmart.. $20 on sale, originally $80. It was a setup kit. ;-)

Got almost all of our plumbing, mostly put together. Got our 1'' bulkheads & our 1 3/4'' hole cutter in the mail today, so I think we're gonna start drilling our 2 holes today! *Fingers crossed that it doesn't crack* We'll be drilling the back. 2 holes at the top, 1 for the return and 1 for our internal overflow box (custom built).

I think this weekend we'll be buying our glass & getting it cut for the 4 baffles we'll have in our sump. Probably get our plumbing finished and getting ready for fun stuff.

Got a great deal on a hydor powerhead (free w/ P2S), sweeper powerhead & pump. Still have to buy another powerhead, ro/di, lights, skimmer & heater. But, we found a guy that is selling alot of saltwater stuff.. if he still has some this w.end we may be going back. Thank you Craigslist! :)

Will post more pictures soon... and more updates too! This is so exciting!:^:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2301/29570405.jpg
29570405.jpg

Last edited:
My honey drilled our tank about 15 min ago! Took 5 min to drill both holes.. not even 5 min per hole.

Pre-Drilling
drilledtaped.jpg

Drilled!
drilleddone.jpg

The missing holes
drilledpieces.jpg

Drilled with bulkheads! *Note: they are on the back..they just look like they're on the front lol*
drilledbulkheads.jpg

2 bulkheads + hole cutter = $30 :) VS. getting them drilled at Fish Garden for $40 ..I say we did good!!

Update: DIY overflow box now has teeth!

Last edited:
Here's what I drew up.. see the red area, it's where we need some advice. Should we go straight down..or join them?
ourtankdrawing.jpg

Last edited:
I brought my line from my overflow straight down with a ball valve so I can control the speed of the water to my sump. I also did a similar thing that you did with the return line in case it is rising to my display tank too quickly. I kept that line separate when returning into my sump as well.

Set up is looking great so far, cant wait to see more.

I brought my line from my overflow straight down with a ball valve so I can control the speed of the water to my sump. I also did a similar thing that you did with the return line in case it is rising to my display tank too quickly. I kept that line separate when returning into my sump as well.

Set up is looking great so far, cant wait to see more.

Hmm.. we'll have to put some thought into it, I think we heard somewhere that you don't wanna restrict water coming from your overflow, but I don't know.

you want a control valve after your pump, that is how you control how much water will go to your sump. To put it before hand can lead to pump damage

you want a control valve after your pump, that is how you control how much water will go to your sump. To put it before hand can lead to pump damage

We have one before our pump, and one in the middle.. they're in the picture. It's the overflow side, that we were unsure about. We're thinking of just putting a Y to hook the overflow line in with the rest.

Just have the overflow go straight into the sump, without joining the return line. Don't need to over complicate it. I honestly can't think of any good reason there would be to join it. Only bad.

As for check valves, make sure to drill a couple of holes in your return exit, right under the water line. When the water level recedes and air hits these holes, they will prevent the return line from back siphoning.

Untitled-7.jpg

Just have the overflow go straight into the sump, without joining the return line. Don't need to over complicate it. I honestly can't think of any good reason there would be to join it. Only bad.

As for check valves, make sure to drill a couple of holes in your return exit, right under the water line. When the water level recedes and air hits these holes, they will prevent the return line from back siphoning.

Thanks. Just straight pipe to sump from overflow.. no need for a ball valve?

Okay I'm done filling this up with questions.. I'll post somewhere else if I need to know anything. ;)

Last edited:
I would be sure to fashion some sort of lid, or mesh or something to go on to of that overflow to keep the snails out. With what I think is just a 1" return it is perfectly snail sized... I recently went through two snail floods in a week...not fun

I would be sure to fashion some sort of lid, or mesh or something to go on to of that overflow to keep the snails out. With what I think is just a 1" return it is perfectly snail sized... I recently went through two snail floods in a week...not fun

I thought the teeth on the overflow prevented that.. hm, we'll think something up.. wouldn't want that to happen to us! Thanks for looking out ;)

Back