d2mini's 46g Bow Front

Thanks everyone!
I've been handpicking rocks from different sources (all fellow reefers, saving me a lot of dough), usually just a few at a time even though I know I need more. I keep looking for oddly shaped rocks that have lots of nooks and crannies and holes and stuff, and rocks of varying shapes from round to flat. And then trying to stack it to create caves and holes. I'm trying to give fish hiding places but also create holes and shelves to place corals. The hard part though is the tank is small so it doesn't leave me a lot of room to mess with placement front to back and it's a bit more vertical of a slope than I would want.
Anyway, I'm going to try to pick up some more pieces this week from rubble size up to about 4-5 inches. :)

I think it looks like your off to a wonderful start! the tank looks really nice. Aquascaping couldnt be much better than that

ok, I need some suggestions!!!

I'm almost done with the canopy... last coat of polyurethane is drying and then just need to add the hinges. But what I want to add to it is something that will let me keep the lid open so I'll have both hands free. And it has to be pretty safe (won't suddenly fall shut) because my lights will be mounted to the lid, adding weight to it. Any ideas???? Oh, and speaking of lights, my Catalina T5 retrofit kit will be here saturday. :D

Here's a pic again of the canopy, pre stain...

404490321_vsN8j-O.jpg

What about a couple of 1/2" wooden dowels with a small eye bolt in each end,then a couple of small J hooks on the lid and just inside the top edge of the canopy to make sure they dont slip when its opened?

Thanks, yote that might work but it looks like it won't be needed afterall. The top folds back all the way so it can rest against the wall behind the tank. :)

So yup, that means my stand/canopy is complete! :D
Here's some pics of the latest updates.
I still want to add more rock. Got a few more small pieces the other day.
My K2's came in today, too!
Saturday i should have the new lights...
oh, and what's that hitchhiker coral in the last pic? And yeah... he's hanging on for dear life now that i have the K2's. :mrgreen:

411602482_GXQ4B-O.jpg

411598080_HmiHN-O.jpg

411583918_q3hox-O.jpg

411624497_J4aNN-O.jpg

Wow you built that canopy! thats amazing custom work. I love that spot your tank is in too. it looks like the house was built for that tank right there.

Wow you built that canopy! thats amazing custom work. I love that spot your tank is in too. it looks like the house was built for that tank right there.

Thanks everyone! :D
Ya, i built the stand and was unsure about building a canopy, but since I miraculously was able to pull the stand out of my butt :mrgreen:, i figured I'd see if I could manage to make a decent canopy too. Whatta ya know... TWO strokes of luck, haha!

So ya... kenya tree... i did a google search and that's what I got. Says they are easy to keep and grow fast. I guess I'll keep an eye on it. I'm just happy having SOMETHING in my tank... and I didn't even have to pay for it. :bounce:

however you WILL pay for it later. They grow really fast and they will shed branches that will float and re attach somewhere else in your tank. trust me there are a handfull of us (inculding myself) here that wish we had one small piece like that so we could just cut it out, throw it away and be done with it.

I've spent the last two weeks kalk pasting about a hundred kenyas.Just when I thought I killed them all several more popped up.I would not wait too long.

That canopy looks great.
And trust me.You'd be better with aiptasia than kenya weeds.I've spent the better part a year trying to get rid of em.Kalk paste hasnt worked,salt paste hasnt,Joe's Juice hasnt.My septic system is probably full of massive kenyas by now,especially knowing just how fast they reproduce.

Lol yea i believe they call it the kenya plague around here. Ive heard nothing but bad things about them. Id take their advice. Btw your carpentry skills are amazing. The tank looks great.

A Short Story:

THE NUMBER ONE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE IN REEFKEEPING
By Biffy

Adding a small, one-inch tall frag of Kenya tree to my tank.

The end.

Back