d2mini's 46g Bow Front

Today I added (2) 4" fans! :^:
My canopy was trapping heat. So much so that with the new lights it was getting up to around 87 degrees or higher!
So here's some pics of my quick and dirty fan install, along with some detail pics of my Catalina retro-fit T5's (6 bulbs) with 6 moonlights.

417480023_Ru3PP-O.jpg

417480047_kCBMX-O.jpg

417480076_6qo2Y-O.jpg

417480100_psLeD-O.jpg

417480128_4HgRZ-O.jpg

Yes. That GIANT one right inbetween the fans! LOL!

So check this out... this morning after sitting all night with no lights and no hood, my water was 79 degrees. Right now after having the closed hood on with lights and fans going for the past 5 hours the water temp is 77.5 degrees! A good 10 degrees cooler than no fans.

Oh man, i just turned my lights off after about 11 hours and the temp is reading 77.2! :shock:
Wow, much better results than i expected. But now I need to daisy chain a small power strip on to my coralife digital power strip since it only has two outlets for timed daytime taken up by my lights. Heck, i might just set up a separate timer and have the fans come on after the lights come on and off before the lights turn off. Or get a controller for the fans. I didn't think I would need one.

just hook a power strip of like a three way plugin adapter and that way you have three plugs for each of the two timed ones. i have two timers that each have a surge protecter pluged into and from there one of them is for the attnics and fans and the second is for the days. oh and one more timer that is hooked up the same way for the moon lights and fuge light.

Just wanted to add a shot of my Moonlights.
Picasso reminded me that I hadn't done that yet.
Unfortunately, the lack of corals doesn't make it too exciting. :neutral:

420817819_Spuzc-O.jpg

So if i get it right you first put a couple of coats polurethane on the inside of your tank and then went over it with white paint??

The stand has a few coats of ebony stain, and then a few coats of polyurethane on top of that. The canopy has the same treatment on the outside, but the inside was painted white with industrial strength spray paint and then a clear coat spray paint on top of that.

Yep,a green monti cap,nice!

In your other thread you asked about calcium and alkalinity.It will be good to bump both up a bit since you're starting an sps.If you don't have magnesium test kit,might wan't to pick one of them up too.

Well, it's already time for some changes.
I'm not happy with my current sump setup so here's my new toys. :D

It's a custom 24 x 18 x 9 acrylic sump made by www.sapphireaquatics.com
And the Aqua C Urchin Pro protein skimmer with Mag 3 pump.
Now I'll have a fuge that I didn't have before and I'm hoping to get rid of my micro bubble issues. Having a fuge didn't leave much room for a return section (middle section) but it's bigger than what I have now and I plan on adding an ATO system soon. Also a new return pump that is better sized for the amount of water that's draining into the sump. My other pump was much too powerful.
431039690_8jroJ-O.jpg

And here's an updated pic of my tank.
Not much different but there are lots of snails and a lot more color is showing up. Firefish was hiding though. Guess he was tired of my camera.
431040196_xkMEY-O.jpg

Back