D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Dennis that will be a great tank! Where did you end up ordering it from?

I didn't yet!!! :grumble:

Trying to get final quotes and order it this week.
I also have a guy waiting for the green light on building the stand. I just want to make sure my tank specs are 100% before he gets started.

Zero Edge.....Zero Edge.
Extremely cool and perfect for your decor. Made for your home. Modern, sleek turn key set-up. It's too bad you don't love in Tucson, you could come see mine. You gotta see one in person to really appreciate it. Hate to see you rule it out it so easily.

The zero edge tanks are definitely cool. True eye-candy.
I was looking at this video and other pics/vids, plus their own website.
YouTube - zeroedgeaquarium's Channel
I didn't rule it out easily at all.
There's just something about that moat around the tank that I don't care for. Not sure why. :dunno:

And how the heck do you clean the glass???

Same way as you clean yours. Once a week I use scrubber pads for acrylic and clean mostly the inside. The outside doesn't get much growth or any at all so an easy swipe takes care of that.

The moat around the tank is actually cool, but is only noticed when you are right upon it. We seldom even notice it as it completely blends in with the stand and it is very easy to clean too.

One cool thing is that your snails will crawl up and over and be on the inside and outside of your tank and then return back inside.

You will have to have a heater, but that is all because of the water surface area the tank stays cool on it's own. At ATO system is a must also.

Their website is not very representative of how cool they are. I first saw one at my LFS and was very intrigued because I have a very modern house too. It took me a lot of time and planning to find the right set-up but there just wasn't anything as cool as these. I had mine almost 2 years now and I can tell you not one person hasn't said "wow that is so cool, I want a tank now." All our company tells us its more like a piece of art rather than an aquarium.

One more thing I forgot. On the set-up you are currently designing, when you walk up to look down into the tank your going to see all that nasty stuff in the overflow right in the middle of you tank. Your also going to see power head cords too, maybe? One of the coolest things about the Zero Edge is that you do not have any of that at all. Very, very clean. It's also extremely cool to look down into your tank so viewing things is possible from all five areas.

David, do you have a tank like the one d2mini shows on the you tube link he has on the last post. If so when I come to tucson I wanna stop by your place and see it.:bowdown:

No power cords.
I'm installing a closed loop with an Oceans Motions Super Squirt to take care of all flow inside the tank, in addition to the flow from the open loop.

And I decided I will be creating a different kind of overflow without teeth and I may create a cap for it, so you won't see any plumbing. :D

I also really want a glass aquarium for a reef tank, not acrylic. I forgot earlier that the zero edge is acrylic.

Yes. Could they have picked out some duller and non-colorful corals?

Mine is a lot cooler. The one in the video was short, probably 12" tall is all. I had mine built at 18" tall and it makes a big difference. I not only wanted to view it from the top looking down into the tank but also through the sides as much and from across the room.

#1 let me know when you come to town.

And I decided I will be creating a different kind of overflow without teeth and I may create a cap for it, so you won't see any plumbing. :D.

That's a very good idea. Guess that would take care of that problem. :lol:

Zero Edge.....Zero Edge.
Extremely cool and perfect for your decor. Made for your home. Modern, sleek turn key set-up. It's too bad you don't love in Tucson, you could come see mine. You gotta see one in person to really appreciate it. Hate to see you rule it out it so easily.

The mystery zero edge :) ;)

I might see some pictures one day.. :mrgreen:

oh my god i went online and checked out the zero edge tanks. They are so cool and so expensive. Hard to do a budget build on something like that. Unless you had Bill Gates budget:grumble: Oh well I guess I can put it in my lotto house if that ever hits. But would have to be a custom 850 gal I guess since I am dreaming anyway.

They're not priced too bad actually, if you consider the fact that you are buying a complete turnkey system. You're right, it's not a "budget" build, but when you look at what you're getting it's not so bad.

Try pricing JUST a tank from Aquarium Obsessed or other ADA quality builder and it won't be far off. Then you still need a stand, sump, plumbing, etc.

I'm having my glass tank built locally and with the custom overflow, starphire glass on all 4 sides, polished edges and 8 holes drilled in the base, it's easily going to cost me upwards of $1500. Then I still have to buy everything else. And then I have to put the whole system together (which to me is half the fun).

They are beautiful modern systems. Mine is approximately 150 gallons and is 65" by 30" and 18" deep and was just under $5000 for the tank, stand, sump, hoses and light bracket.

UPDATE:

I swear, figuring out the specs of this tank has to be one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to do. Getting married was easier than this!!!

So now, the owner of Oceans Motions and the owner of Miracles Aquariums have stepped in and are working together to figure out the best solution for my tank that will take up far less interior tank space that what my inaccurately drawn sketch would end up being in reality. Figuring out a way to build a walk-around cube with both a closed loop (with an OM 4-way) and an open loop plumbing set-up, taking up minimal space inside the tank. OM has some interesting ideas. More to come when I hear more....

Oh, and construction of the stand has commenced.

Last edited:

That ought be a killer system.
PARTY AT DENNIS"S PLACE
when he gets the tank set up:D

Ok!
I'm going to talk to my tank builder tonite. So there may actually be some progress on this. :D

Now let me give you a little backstory and share some of my frustration.

So back around early to mid august I talked to Winy and her awesome hubbie and got some great advice on how to set up this tank, plumbing, etc. I decided on doing a closed loop and an open loop. Closed for flow and open for filtering through the sump. So then i started looking for tank builders. Glass Cages was my first thought due to great prices. Tanks looked "ok". Shipping was a little bit of a pain due to central drop-off, not direct to my house. Then a local forum member said he has a glass guy that built his tank. Much better quality than glass cages and close to the same price. Great! So after going back and forth with him for a few weeks, I realized there was a problem. His "guy" knows glass, but doesn't really know tank building. Not that he can't build a nice tank, just that he doesn't know the details like how far apart holes should be drilled, what size they need to be, etc. And neither do I! So this just wasn't going to work since I couldn't really supply the detailed info that he needed, especially when i was going to need to drill something like 8 holes in this tank. So then I contacted my local acrylic sump builder and happened to mention I was looking to have a tank built. This is Sapphire Aquatics, some of you nano guys have probably heard of him. Kyle told me that they now build glass tanks as well. So i got a quote and it was reasonable. Great! Well, around the same time, I'm researching the whole closed loop thing and I came across www.OceansMotions.com. They have a forum, so i posted my questions and sketch of my tank/plumbing, requesting a recommendation on which of their products would work best. Well i get a response from the owner, Paul, asking me to call him. So i get on the phone and we have a good conversation about different things like proper flow, plumbing, skimming, etc. He says that my sketch wasn't going to work as-is, the overflow was too small to house the plumbing and he had some other suggestions for the plumbing configuration. Now the problem was that the bigger the center column overflow gets in my tank, the less room I'm going to have for putting stuff! It was looking like my overflow was going to need to be close to 10" square. Well the tank is 36", right? Take away glass thickness and that 10" overflow and you are left with less than 26". Cut that number in half and you end up with less than 13" between the glass wall and the overflow wall. Think about that for a second, and imagine stacking live rock in that small of a space. Not much room left for anything else, is there? Well crap. So now Paul tells me that he has some ideas he's been thinking about for a while that would let someone in my situation still have an overflow in the center but not take up as much real estate in the tank. He was thinking of a large drain pipe, maybe 2", with the 3/4" return line in the center. And then some kind of suspended overflow box on top. Blah blah blah. And then he asks who's building my tank and I tell him a local builder. He said he knows the owner of Miracles Aquariums and that I should give him a call for a quote. He thinks they will be around the same price including shipping and they could work together. Paul will design the overflow and Derek at Mircales will take the design and build the tank. So at this point i'm like, fine. You guys just do it. This way I don't have to deal with it, it will get done right, the closed loop will work correctly, etc. So i call Miracles, talked to Derek, he would talk to Paul, yadda yadda yadda. This was August 28th. Since then I've been just trying to get some inkling of an idea on when i might see my tank. Other than knowing that it will take about 5 weeks to build it once in the que, i had no idea when that would be. I got a couple short responses from Paul, that's just the way he is, and I got no response from Derek after a couple pricing emails. Now I know that basically it was going to be custom work done for free. I wouldn't be rushing on that either if it was me. But at least answer my emails and TELL me what's going on or why or whatever. So screw that. Back to Kyle at Sapphire Aquatics!

So that's where I'm at. Totally frustrated and pissed, but i think we're going to work it out tonite and get started building!

Now here's the thing... going back to the space issue with the center column overflow. If you go back earlier in this thread and look at the pics I posted of my house and the location of the tank, you'll see it's going to be a full walk-around setup but it's only a few feet from the two walls/windows. So technically, most of the viewing of the tank is going to be from two sides, not all four. It's not like it's smack dab in the center of a room. So what I'm thinking now is doing a corner overflow in the same corner as the corner of that set of windows. The least viewed corner. It won't take up much glass space, just a matter of 6-8" on each side of that corner probably, and then WHOLE rest of the tank is left wide open for whatever aquascaping I want to do. As cool as it sounds to have a center column overflow, visually I'm thinking the corner overflow is going to be the better way to go overall. What do you guys think?

And yes, dcantucson... i KNOW that a zero edge tank wouldn't even have an overflow. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Back