d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

here is my newest mini i got but it keeps moving
1119101704a.jpg

Hope you find the nem!
Hey, Dennis, I'm thinking about purchasing a vortech - how are you liking yours? Worth the cost? Debating if one will be enough for a 150 (the 40 series) or if I should get a 10 series to supplement.

Last edited:
Let's just say I would never want to buy any other powerhead.
You're probably going to want two of the same, one across from the other, to get the full benefits of the wave actions and stuff. Might want to talk to EcoTech in their support forum on ReefCentral and see what they suggest as a minimum for your tank dimensions.

hmmm, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, two is going to be sooo expensive. Now I'm going to have to build my own stand to save that money!!
What mode do you use yours in?

Well due to my setup, i can't run them across from each other.
I don't remember what they are set at right now, but they are set to alternate programs. One might be running on lagoon mode, another on reef crest. Something like that. And i think i have it set so that when one is ramping up, the other is ramping down and vice versa. It's not ideal for a dual vortech setup, but it's my only option. And both of them are turned way down. These suckers really put out a lot of freakin power. But again, my tank is a cube and since they are on the overflow, they are not even a full tank width across from the opposite corner.
And at feeding time, you hold one button down for a couple seconds on either one of the controllers, and they will both ramp down to minimum power for 15 minutes and then go back to normal automatically.
At night they both automatically ramp down and stay that way till morning.

Well due to my setup, i can't run them across from each other.
I don't remember what they are set at right now, but they are set to alternate programs. One might be running on lagoon mode, another on reef crest. Something like that. And i think i have it set so that when one is ramping up, the other is ramping down and vice versa. It's not ideal for a dual vortech setup, but it's my only option. And both of them are turned way down. These suckers really put out a lot of freakin power. But again, my tank is a cube and since they are on the overflow, they are not even a full tank width across from the opposite corner.

Why are you running on two separate modes instead of putting them on the same mode in anti-sync?

Why are you running on two separate modes instead of putting them on the same mode in anti-sync?

They are stacked one on top of the other. The bottom one needs to run at a more gentle pace to keep my sand in place in the front corner where the current bounces back. So i keep that one on lagoon mode. The top one i can run at stronger currents to get more flow around to other parts of the tank.

hmmm, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, two is going to be sooo expensive. Now I'm going to have to build my own stand to save that money!!
What mode do you use yours in?

My next tank is going to be my dream build -- and it's going to be 500 to 600 gallons... I'm going all out, including Vortechs. I have heard nothing but good things about those powerheads!

My next tank is going to be my dream build -- and it's going to be 500 to 600 gallons... I'm going all out, including Vortechs. I have heard nothing but good things about those powerheads!

Didn't you say that you didn't like having such a big tank when you had the 240?

Buy the software, Dennis!

What the heck is that third pic? Looks like FSM has blessed your tank with his noodley appendage?

C

Buy the software, Dennis!

What the heck is that third pic? Looks like FSM has blessed your tank with his noodley appendage?

C

I'm wondering if it's just a VERY close up of a hairy mushroom?

Great shots as usual Dennis. Make us all feel better and let Wally snap a couple of pics.

Back