DIY LED trial run

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok...FINALLY got the LED. Had to pick it up from the post office since it was registered mail.

DSC05236.jpg

Maybe we'll have time tonight to play with it. We will try with a regular battery at first, just to test it, then he will hook it up to a computer power supply (which being the computer geek that he is, he has boxes of computer parts just laying around--boxes which for years I kept trying to get him to toss, but I guess he got his revenge because now I need them hehehe)

His job is to figure out the wiring, amount of power needed, etc....my job is to sit pretty and bounce around excitedly and post :mrgreen:

Yes, just ONE to light my entire 6 foot long 125g tank :bounce: I can do it, can't I???

Actually, this was just a trial. I haven't seen anyone using p7's before...people were using Cree LEDs with great success. P7's are brighter than Crees, but I was told it might have too much of a spotlight effect. But I think it won't -- I inspected it, and the glass over the chip is a dome. I don't see how it would cause spotlight effects. Worse case, I just put more. Here are the spec sheet on the LED in case you're interested:

View attachment W724C0.pdf

I might possibly order a PAR meter (in the other thread, someone sent me a link to an inexpensive one that I might look into). I'm so excited!

This might be a big fail if the p7 sucks, which is why I only ordered 1 to play with. If it looks good, then we're going to order 20-30 bulbs (at which point I do get discount). I'll start another thread for that full build. This thread is just for our experiment, and to get peoples inputs.

The dome will act as a focal lense. That should create a beam of LED light. But who knows how focused or what it will look like? I am curious to see how it turns out.

i also have a room full of computer parts and towers i wonder how i would use a old power supply how i do i hook it up whitout a mother board letting the power supply come on?

i also have a room full of computer parts and towers i wonder how i would use a old power supply how i do i hook it up whitout a mother board letting the power supply come on?

I don't know but I'll let ya know! That's my hubby's dept. He's the brains and labor, I'm more the Project manager ;) I will attempt to keep very well documentation step by step, so people can see it and hopefully give us comments/input/suggestions.

I don't know but I'll let ya know! That's my hubby's dept. He's the brains and labor, I'm more the Project manager ;) I will attempt to keep very well documentation step by step, so people can see it and hopefully give us comments/input/suggestions.

You sound just like my wife..:shock:

I'm looking forward to this project progress.

looking at the spec sheet, its got a 130 deg viewing angle, i wouldnt think you'd have too much of a spot light effect... seems descently spread out... but i'm not sure how that will interact when the light bends as it transitions from air to water....

looking at the spec sheet, its got a 130 deg viewing angle, i wouldnt think you'd have too much of a spot light effect... seems descently spread out... but i'm not sure how that will interact when the light bends as it transitions from air to water....

Exactly :) Well, we might try to find a way to put some reflectors on the unit if we need to. I'm more looking for the light's intensity.

Are you guys ready???? The first flash of light blinded me; I nearly fell over! LOL We actually used a 9volt (which might have been too much, so I was worried we blew it)

So we jerry rigged 2 AA batteries w/ duct tape. These pics don't justify what light, but here is our first test. I also took a video of it from a dark room. I'll post that once I upload it. So far so good! And judging by the spread of this light in the room, there is most definitely NO spotlight effect. We'll see what happens when we put it above water.

DSC05244.jpg

DSC05245.jpg

Final output:
DSC05246.jpg

This still doesn't justify the brightness of the light. I've looked into MH's before, and THIS ONE burned my eyes just as bad

"Don't look at the trap!"
"I looked at the trap, Ray!"

Sorry...having video issues...reposting below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5IyJUP-hd8"][/ame]

Last edited:
Yes!!! Success!!!! Just ONE p7 looked AWESOME in the tank!! And the way the light hits the water means I can use less LEDs that originally planned. Sorry for the blurry pics. I'm uploading a video.

This is our makeshift temporary test unit -- the round metal plate is a spare part.
DSC05252.jpg

This is the back -- again, we used 2 AA batteries (which would mean the lights will be brighter once we use a real power supply!). Plus a little switch.
DSC05253.jpg

Freaking out the fish with the bright lights (again, note that this is just ONE p7! Imagine once we put more, AND use a real power supply!):
DSC05250.jpg

DSC05249.jpg

DSC05251.jpg

Back