Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

I was thinking of getting 2 - #1s. I figure they are equivalent to Mj900s. But the price...yucky. Have you found them cheaper anywhere online? While I am not a personal fan of buying live stock on the Internet, I have no problem getting equipment. woudl #1s work for a 90 gallon tank?

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

I found the cheapest ones at Drs. Foster and Smith. They were even on sale at the time. I would go more than #1s for a 90 gallon. Even #3s.

how much did you pay? if you don't mind my asking.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I believe the #3s were $40 - $50 apiece. Honestly I don't remember exactly, but they were in that range.

I went to Drs foster and smith website to look at them. I am interested, since I am looking to knock the pants off you guys with the way my tank looks. It might help keep cyano away as well. I think I will get two of the #2 powerheads. The description mentioned a suction cup. I thought it was a magnet? I am not a fan of rubber cups as they have almost completely deteriorated in my current set up (damn Rios).

I don't think the K1 will cut it Doc.I had two K2 in my 75 and felt I needed just a tad more.I would go with two K3 in your case.

Premium Aquatics is becoming my favorite place to order,cheaper than the 2doc's site...............Hydor Pumps: Premium Aquatics

so many choices. I may just hang around the tank with a cleaned out pixy stick straw and blow into the tank... I will look into those #3.

I have #1's in my 55g and am going to get a #2 because it still doesn't seem like enough. I don't think the #1's have enough power behind them for the width of the flow. DEFINATELY not enough for a 90 IMO.

Dr. do you have a pictures of of your current tank? I think you should post some current pictures of your tank so we can follow along in your moving and see the changes and progress. I love seeing pictures of all the tanks so I can see how all of you pro's have stocked and planted them.

sorry im late...happy birthday..congrats on your new house..dont forget the guest room for me to visit...and great news about your new project!!

Rigo,

you are more than welcome to visit. My wife bought the bedding for the guest room yesterday. Now, if only we had a bed.....anyway. As for pics, I will be posting them as I go along. I have been pushed back on my time table for the tank development since this whole house thing has jumped in the way. I have to wait to create the 90 reef until we close on the house. I then have to tear out the old carpet (it doesn't match the stand I got) and lay a new floor. I will take pics of that just for comic value. After the floor is down, the next day...tank time.

I will post pics this week as I transfer the snakes around and clean out the existing 90. I need to get vinegar for the cleaning (I think that is what Biff said I need to use to clean the tank). That should happen Thursday or so. Sorry for the delay.

thanks dr marco...some great things happening to you...you deserve it..ill be waiting patienly for your new photos...best of luck!!

Happy Birth day to Doc.
Happy Birth day to Doc.

Happy Late birth day Doc.:Buds:

Yep vinegar is what you use to clean out the tank. Best of luck with the new house. Keep us posted.

Ok, so I cleaned my tank tonite. I forgot how damn heavy tanks are. I may have pulled out my back lifting the 90 gallon tank and getting it downstairs. I should have asked for help. Anyway. Here is the progress thus far.

PA040004.jpg

Here is what it looked like before the move.

PA040005.jpg

Finally got it outside.

PA040006.jpg

hmmm. I should not have used one of those sticky thermometers. It took me about 30 minutes to get it off.

PA040007.jpg

washing out the cleaning solution

PA040008.jpg

Finishing the rinse

PA040009.jpg

Done.

I finally got the tank dried off and moved into the basement, patiently awaiting the move.

Is all that bottled water for the making up of sea water?:mrgreen:
You better be careful moving that thing by yourself too.You might drop something that you'll need one of these days.

BTW.
Cant wait to see that thing full of corals.

yeah, food storage. It takes up less room than huge barrels of water and is easier to carry around. I have no plans for more kids, so if I lose my manliness dropping the tank, I will be OK. While I did get it down the stairs, I called my neighbor to help me get it back in. I really think I pulled something, that sucker was incredibly heavy.

I forgot how big a 90 gallon looks. I am looking forward to filling it with my corals, shrimp, etc - oh yeah, and a school of Bartlett's Anthias.

I am hoping to win the tank of the month more than once.

thank you for that. You did a wonderful job. I just wish you had made it so I don't have to replace all the tires at once, that tends to cut into my fish budget for a while. Next year, could you work on a model that can just have two done at a time? lol :bounce:

Back