Fastlight's 75gallon first saltwater tank

Yep...and in all its glory! If only it would magically disperse money so i can stock it.

IMG_1479.JPG

Looks at how nice and shiney new everything is. Looks great! Fits in well with the rest of the house too. So what are your plans for the tank? Drilling painting equiptment. Fill us in marine. Really though its off to a good start.

Looks at how nice and shiney new everything is. Looks great! Fits in well with the rest of the house too. So what are your plans for the tank? Drilling painting equiptment. Fill us in marine. Really though its off to a good start.

what do u mean by drilling painting equipment?

As far as the tank goes it will be a reef. i want all sorts of corals and fish. but this stuff is all so new to mean ive just been doing a ton of reading. The only thing i do know is that all the equipment i got for this thing is basically useless. The light is old and needs all new bulbs and its only a cp . I wanna sell that on ebay. Its a coral life with lunar lights and set up 4 4 bulbs. The filter is a wet/dry proclear aquatics it does have a protein skimmer but i dont know if its even effective anymore...let alone if it works. I hear wet/dry filters are a no go for reef tanks because the cause problem with the nitrate?

So im a long ways off, and i have a small budget. What do you all think i should do next. My plan was tell sell the light...possibly my paintball fun to and get the 6 bulb nova pro. Then build a sump. The question is do i need a light on the sump? Then theres the whole what size sump and how do i set that up? and ive got like a trillion questions and dont know what direction to take next. any ideas?

I ran a Proclear wet/dry on my 75 for a year with no problems.But I was anal about maintaining it.I rinsed the filter media at least every other day.Either rinsed or at times bleached the bio-balls once a week.Every week I'd completely wash the wet/dry out when I'd do my water change.Thats the key to keeping nitrates down with a wet/dry.
The skimmers aint that great,but they will work.They'er better than seaclones anyway.
That stand looks even better with the tank sitting on top of it.Cant wait to see it with water in it.

yote what kind of tank was it? was it a reef tank with a lot of corals? if so i could run that for a while just to get the tank going and then i could upgrade to a sump later...then again how do i get the sump in there later...grr

Its an SPS reef tank.
Make sure you dont have to slide your sump tank down through the top of the stand before you add water,sand,and rock to your display tank.
I ran into that when I upgraded to a 30gal sump.It wouldnt fit through the front of my stand,so I ended up having to sit it on the floor beside the display.
Thats a mistake I'm not gonna make on my next project.

what do u mean by drilling painting equipment?

So im a long ways off, and i have a small budget. What do you all think i should do next. My plan was tell sell the light...possibly my paintball fun to and get the 6 bulb nova pro. Then build a sump. The question is do i need a light on the sump? Then theres the whole what size sump and how do i set that up? and ive got like a trillion questions and dont know what direction to take next. any ideas?

I think the drilling question was about how you plan to get the water from the main tank to the sump... I've not looked back through your thread, but is the tank pre-drilled (= holes in the bottom to which you will plumb in overflows, or not?) I'm guessing not, so you will either need to try / get your tank drilled at the back to attach 'plumbing' for the water to flow out, or use an overflow box to take the water over the back.

Regarding what to do next: I would find the quickest way to get sand, rocks and water into the system. The longer you can let it cycle the better. It's always the most difficult time as you just want to start putting things in and bringing it to life, so if finances force you to wait then all the better...

You don't need a light on your sump unless you intend to make it a refugium as well - it's just the algae (plants) that need the light. so you can always get things started without one...

thanks for the help joe man and yote!!! i am going to a new lfs because the 1 i used as a kid for freshwater has closed up :( so im gonna go check out a few in the area and see whats up

well i only made it to 1 of 3 lfs today and i wasnt to impressed. I know lfs are gonna be more expensive but man! This store was way more geared towards tropical fish(as the name suggested) I also didnt like the way the tanks were kept on the saltwater side...not to clean. But they did have a real nice 180? gallon bowfront (not sure on actual size) reef tank set up. It was awesome seeing everything with my own eyes and not on the internet. So maybe this weekend i can check out the other 2. but did find this while browsing today...

http://toledo.craigslist.org/pet/769983273.html

im gonna hit him up and see if something pans out...i asked 4 a price of the whole set up but i think itll be way above my current green in my wallet. I a really eyeing the light and the sump w/ skimmer!!!

the whole set up? really i figured easy 800 4 whole set up. just shows how new i am 2 this. How much would be the most i should give him 4 the light? how about 4 the filtration system?

That seems like a nice setup. The lights look to be good for a reef tank too (oftentimes, when you buy a used setup, you end up having to replace crappy lights). As for the protein skimmer, it depends on what brand it is. If he's running a piece of junk, you shouldn't pay extra for it. But just for the live rock, tank and stand, I'd say $400. Maybe tack on an extra $100 to $200 for the equipment, depending on the quality.

They look 2 good for a reef tank? im confused i thought u wanted halogens and t-5 if you could afford them? Did you say that right biff or am i just being a block head? (reef is with lots of corals inverts and some fish right?)

They look to be good for a reef tank. Not they are too good for a reef tank. I mean that they are sufficient to keep corals. Those lights would be good for a reef tank.

Well he is asking 300 for the lights. I asked for some specs and how old the bulbs are. By the picture the fixture looks old. Biff yeah sorry but u really have me confused. they r only sufficent? so r u saying that a 6 bulb nova pro would be better for a reef than what is being sold here?

Back