Fastlight's 75gallon first saltwater tank

Well after a brief a little disappearance and the crap hitting the fan for me I'm back. (hopefully with a vengeance.) As you know my 75 cracked and i almost did to. I got discouraged and almost quit and sold my light(brand new) and pump(brand new) now im kicking myself in the pants. I was so close to water!!! Well tomorrow or this weekend im getting a used 90gallon. its coming with a stand (crappy lights) heater and a ehiem canister filter. Ill probably use only the tank and maybe the stand. but for all that it was the best deal i could find in weeks. I plan on drilling this tank and i have talked to some glass guys and feel pretty confident on how to drill this without cracking it. And if it does i probably will quit....not likely.(but wife will be pissed!!) But going back and thinking about the nova pros i had and how loud i believed the fans to be i think im gonna go with catalina solar t-5 8x54 with lunar lights....maybe some of you can tell me how loud you think that catalina lights are...ive heard great things about them and for 100bucks more than the novas i get 2 more bulbs better reflector and moonlights. i gonna go with an octopus nw150 for this 90g. and a 9.5 mag drive pump again. hopefully this time things will finally play out for me...........

I can't say anything about the lights but you should keep an eye on craigslist and on forum selling/trading sections for NW150's. I think I saw one for sale on RC recently for a fair price. Lotta people are upgrading to the new Extreme or MSX skimmers and selling the NW's for decent price.

Happy you decided to give it another shot.
And heres a thought.Have the glass company drill the glass for you.Might cost a few bucks,but you wont have to worry about another blowout.

another good thing about the glass company drilling it for you is if it does break, guess who is paying for a new tank. ill give you a hint, it wont be you

i do have those lights and they are great. ask them to put some fans in them for you mine get a little hot but nothing like what i had before with my other lights.

Well i now have a 90 gallon aquarium with three holes in it !!!:bounce:
Also i have ordered a octopus nw150 from premium aquatics for 120bucks. a steal imo. i also have got another magdrive9.5 I almost drilled the tank myself and was going with the clamp method i was told by a glass guy. My wife convinced me to try it on the old aquarium(she so smart..though ill never tell her) well needless to say it snapped the pane of glass. :grumble: Sooo i went to a glass company and had them do it for the 90. they basically did the same thing i did but didnt break it. so here is some pics and the begining of the plumbing.

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

im very happy i jumped back in....my wallet is not. Man i cant wait to get this thing going. its a good thing i have a budget otherwise id be rushing this hobby.

Okay i got my octo nw-150. Holy is that thing big. Pictures just dont do it justice. I also temped in some plumbing till i make sure everything in the sump is okay and i wont have to take the tank off. But i love pictures so here are a few.

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

yes my littlest is my firecracker and the oldest a daddys girl.
IMG_1642.JPG

Is there a special spray paint? i want to spray paint the pvc also. Okay question....How much sand do i need for the 90 gallon? i was thinking 100lbs how many inches would that get me? I dont want a dsb just a couple inches. Also i dont wanna buy alot of live sand i want maybe like a 50 50 mix. is this stuff good for live sand?
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=C-ARAG-L-BO&Category_Code=Substrates
and then this stuff for like the non live stuff
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=C-ARAGAMAX&Category_Code=Substrates
maybe like 60lbs of the non live 40 of the live? ill probably check out the lfs scene and see what they offer for price but i think there up there. too bad i just couldnt use play sand! this stuff expensive for some damn sand

Last edited:
Its coming right along.
Dont that I wouldnt worry about painting the back.It wont take it too long to get covered in coralline anyway,so why not save the money on paint for a couple of frags?

I'm thinking I got about 75LBS of sand in my 75.Got right at 1-1/2" sand in it.I'd basically got 100% dry argonite sand,and get a cup of live from a local reefer or maybe even your LFS.Cheapper that way.
I tryed the play sand route.It didnt even look right.Had a un-natural glassy look to it.
And those young ladies are cuter than a couple of speckled pups pulling a lil red wagon.

My ladies are my world. They are just as excited about the aquarium as I am. There always trying to help when im working on it. Its awesome. There is so much i can teach them about it. I think ill start with 100 lbs and go from there. If 75 gave you 1.5in in the 75 gallon then 100 should get me up 2 a couple inches like i want in my 90 seeing as a 90 is a 75 only taller right? Man i cant wait to get some rock!

You can go with one overflow into the fuge, and the other into the skimmer, but have them joined together by pipe too, that way you can direct more flow to one or the other. Return up the middle

Back