Fastlight's 75gallon first saltwater tank

just a needlewheel. i used to have a proclear skimmer that i got for free but i decided to get rid of it cause something told me it wouldnt be big enough. The octo is absolutely huge compared to that thing. I cant wait to see what its capable of

yea i thought play sand would look funny. i was joking more than anything. so sounds like i dont need a lot of live sand to get the ball rolling huh. cool

You'll get a lot of cool little sand critters from the live rock.So basically,you can get by with just dry sand.But a cup full from an established system help things move a little quicker.

I am looking at a Octopus 150 to replace my 300 when I move it from the 75 to the 210. I just didn't know what I wanted to go with. It will be nice to see how the needlewheel works before I make any purchases.

The 150 is only good up to 150 gallons. I would think you would have to go with a bigger size? I wont have my tank running for a bit so i couldnt tell you how good it would work compared to the octo recirc and the octo pro like melons got. I would like to just put it in some water and see it in action. My only question is do you need protein in the water to make bubbles or not?

No you will only need salt in your water to do that. To clarify I have an Octopus 300 needle wheel recirc right now, I will be moving that one to my 210 and I am thinking of putting a 150 Octopus on my 75 gallon to replace the 300 that I will be moving. I just dont know if I want recirc or needle wheel.

Crap i dont have salt so i wont be able to see it in action. I get what you are saying now. Me being new to all this i dont get the whole recirc thing so thats why i went with the cheaper needle wheel. I know you get what you pay for but also that skimmer was as big as i could go in budget and in the sump.

The recirc allows the skimmer more contact time with the water. It skims better than just a needle wheel. There is nothing wrong with needle wheels either they all get the job done.

man i wish. Damn budget. I should be getting my ro/di unit in the next 2 weeks then i can get some saltwater in there and snap a few shots. I thought about just getting my sand in there with some saltwater b4 the ro/di unit came but ive decided to get the unit first just so i can do it right. The patient thing works well here cause of my budget.

Okay i havent gotten my ro di unit but ive been dieing to get the skimmer going to see her in action. Well after getting frustrated with it ccapt gave me some help and i got her going. I had to blow into the air line and she started making bubbles like mad! Now if you look over here..
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/15398-help-octo-nw-150-wont-make-bubbles.html
Im wondering why the bubbles dont go into the collection cup so any help would be great!
But i love pics and maybe this can help
Sump front shot

IMG_1645a.JPG

skimmer riser tube all the way down
IMG_1646a.JPG

top sump shot
IMG_1647a.JPG

skimmer riser tube up just enough to bring bubbles into the black cone
IMG_1648a.JPG

note the bubble location and tell me what i should do. note skimmer in 8.5 in of water

Looks like it was put together upside down. The black cone should be pointing up ^. and the tube part from the cup inside the cone.

Listen to Capt.:D
Are you gonna have enough room to get the cup off after the tanks set?
Looks like its gonna be tight to me.

lol sure do have it upside down and yote their is less than an eight inch to get that cup off!!! but she comes out. so im good to go..gonna plumb in the rest today and fill her up and see how it looks with water!

Well water is in! Salt is in! I havent check the specific gravity yet. B4 i added salt i had both drains just barely cracked shut and the pump worked great everything was in unison and levels stayed well. Then I added the salt and the drains were draining faster than the pump. So now i cracked em half way closed and it stayed good for about 15 min. Now the drains are slowly winning again. I have the foam around the intake that came with my mag 9.5 on should i take it off? Does salt have something to do with why my pump keeps slowly loosing? Any suggestions? Other than everything is running great and i have found no leaks!

The drains should only be running what the pumps returning.Unless maybe your getting air in the drain pipes.
Do you have a breather hole in the top of the drain line?

yea there are breather holes 1/8 in each drain only way to make in not so bubbly is to have it all the way open...to much flow or most of the way shut then there seems to be not enough. ive got 3 90s on the return line i wonder if i should goten that flex stuff to elimante 2 of those 90s

Back