Fastlight's 75gallon first saltwater tank

i wish i had a flow meter for this pump! id really like to know what the gph is after the 90s im thinking im gonna be changing the return side of the pipe work. I like the look of it but not sure if im getting even close to my 900gph i want

Okay someone explain to me why after two days of my water being crystal clear it is suddenly cloudy. I have only daylight being the only light on this tank and there is nothing in there but saltwater and of course the protein skimmer....

You'd be surprised at how quick water quality can change,even in an empty tank.
I think it goes quicker when theres nothing in the water to help stablize it.

Probably be a good idea to drain it all out and refill it when your ready to start adding sand and rock.

Wow never would have thought that, Well im not gonna drain it because i have no where to put 110 gallons on saltwater to it might as well stay in there

I found something that old saltwater works great for.Well,actually 2 things.
#1-I put it in a sprayer and spray around the foundation of the house.That saves on weedeating time.
#2-I use it for salt licks for deer during the summer.

There is nothing but saltwater running in there i do have my skimmer going. Im gonna be pissed if i wasted half a bucket of salt for nothing. Im hopeing to get sand in there soon. What will that do if the water is still cloudy?

Im hoping to get sand in there soon. What will that do if the water is still cloudy?

Become even more cloudy.It will clear in a few days.

While you waiting on sand.There's no harm in making a full test of the saltwater-ammonia,calcium,pH,akalinity etc.Maybe something will show why the water turned cloudy.

Yea freak umm i dont have any test kit yet :) I didnt see the point when i was just filling the tank to check for leaks and flow. I figured the water would be fine. Then i decided to add salt to see the skimmer work. Which btw is pulling some stuff out of water that I drink ewww. I decided to hook up the ehiem pro2 canister filter i got with the 90 gallon for some filtration and see if that helps clear up the water. Also Do mag pumps take a while to "warm up" because for a while i had my drains half closed and now i have them full open. I added 2 holes on the top of my drains to quite them down but they still seem to be sucking air and like big bubbles are bubbles are forcing there way into the sump as it drains? Should i try and make the holes bigger? they are at 1/8th in now.

Couple questions.
What salt are you using?
You said you don't have any test kits, but do you have a refractometer, or at least a hydrometer to measure salinity? If so, what is it?
Did you fill the tank with tap water?
In the few days you had it running, how much water evaporated and did you add any top off water? If so, was it tap water?

My guess is, and it depends on all the above:
High ca salt mix. Some are very high...maybe too high in some situations. If you don't know your salinity, that may be high. If you are using tap water, it may be high in ca also. You don't know your pH. If any water evaporated and you didn't replace it with fresh water, all the parameters in your tank got higher.
So, it is very possible you use salt that's high in ca, your salinity may be high, tap water was used, water evaporated but not replaced and your pH is high.
Add this all up and you have a calcium precipitation event. Basically the water couldn't hold the amount of calcium and carbonates in solution, and it precipitated. It will all settle in a day or so, but your ca, alk and mag levels will be way down.

Oh, and for your overflow, the valves should be opened all the way all the time. If you have those strainers pointing up, it will always be loud. Take a look at this durso. It's in an overflow box, but that can just as well be drilled like your tank. Note the position of the elbo inside the overflow box.

Last edited:
Yes i did use tap water(used a heavy metal elimintaor with it). I just topped off the tank and added about a couple gallons. I measured the salinity in it before hand and it was just under 1.022 now it is at 1.021 Im using just one of those needle pointing hydrometer. I am using oceanic salt.(i believe that is high in calcium.

When making new water, if you measure the salt out first, then add water to it, this can lead to calcium precipitation vs. making water first, then adding the salt to the water.

There really isn't anything you can do about it, and it's not harmful either.

I put the water into the tank and then added salt into into it. I wish i could quite down my drains some how. I cant figure out what s causing the drains to just now become like a siphon and no no noise. Seems like air is getting into it.

Go to page 10 RyanG Itll show my drains. Middle is 3/4 return ends are 1in. The one that isnt done now comes down at a 45 to hit the sump. On the the top of the t's for the drain is where i have drilled the holes. ive opened them up a little bit more than 1/8th but afraid to go any bigger... It is good to c that i can now keep both drains open and return all open and everything be in unison.

From my previous reply
Oh, and for your overflow, the valves should be opened all the way all the time. If you have those strainers pointing up, it will always be loud. Take a look at this durso. It's in an overflow box, but that can just as well be drilled like your tank. Note the position of the elbo inside the overflow box.

What if i just take my elbows and instead of pointing them up point them down with the strainers still in?

They should be pointed down,with the strainers on.If you've them 90ing up,then thats why they are making the noise.

Oceanic salt tests at 500ppm on calcium right out of the bucket.

Back