first test

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
Ok so I tested my amonnia for the first time tonight. With no adding fish or dead shrimp to jumpstart, only my LR and some LS, my ammonia already reads .5 with my red sea test kit. Ill be testing for everything on monday just to see where im at, but does this sound normal for 2 days into my setup?

Oh yeah had to come back and edit cause i forgot this.

In 2 weeks im picking up...
175 W MH Icecap ballast Modul socket with 10k bulb
175 W MH Blueline ballast Mogul socket with 10K bulb
2x 65W PC (24") fixture with actinic bulbs
2x 65w PC 24" fixture with 10k daylight bulbs
from a local guy for $250
so what could I grow with this on a 55 gallon?

Last edited:
The level of cycle will be dependent on the amount of bio load to be dealt with. as long as you do not add too many animals too quickly or at one time you will be fine. just watch the cycle and let your system settle in and mature for a few months if possible. good luck.

Yeah my main thing I want in the tankis carol. I can deal without fish, or maybe 1 fish at most. But when the cycle is over ill probably get the yellow clown goby, wait for the cycle again, then buy some zoanthids, mushrooms or frogspawn. Since this will mainly be a reef tank fish dont bother me all that much lol. I have a freshwater tank i can watch fish in if I get lonely

No fish what? Just kidding. If you add one only one I would put a yellow or hippo tang.You also try some clown breeding(that only two fish) with that size tank.John gave some good help on the cycle.You already know how most of the cycle process(levels) works from your fresh water experiance.With the lighting your going with and the step your taking most coral including sps and clams I think in time should be happy and healthy.

No lol I want fish, but only 1 for awhile. I want to focuz on getting some coral going. I think the coral makes the tank, not the fish!!!

Lighting Tip

Although PAR is a big buzz word where you balance your specturm out, intensity is also very important. depending on the depth of the water collum will dictate the wattage of lights or number of lights. your 175 Mh will be good up to 18 inch depths. over that you should go to 250 Mh, and over 28 or 29 inches to 400 mh. for sps and clams. hope this helps.

Back