First time trying to frag a zoa's EPIC FAIL

garydm

Reefing newb
well my zoa's split and I had 2 polyps on the side of a rock and thought I would try and transplant them to a different rock......Man are those suckers stuck on there....It was a concave section on the rock so I couldn’t get a good place to get under them.....Then it happened a slip and squish :grumble: I smashed one and it started shooting this funk into the water....I freaked out and did a water change and sucked the smashed one up in the process....I’m going to try and put a rock chunk by the zoa's and see if it doesn’t spit one on it....Live and learn I guess:lol:

I've smashed the snot out of zoas and button polyps before. No big deal. They will grow back and puff up in a week.

You want to frag zoas the easy way? Set the rock next to the aquarium glass and wait until they jump off the rock and start growing up on the glass. It takes 3 or 4 months. Then you slice the connecting tissue between the rock and the glass. Now you probably got 3 or 4 polyps of those zoas on the glass. Let them grow and spread out a bit. When you are ready to make a frag - simply slide a razor knife under the foot of the polyp and scrap it off the glass. If you're careful it can be done very cleanly with absolutely no damage to the foot of the zoa. Then just super glue them to a rock or frag plug. It helps if you gently tap a paper towel on the foot of the zoa to dry it. Make sure the plug is dry. Place a tiny spot of glue the diameter of a #2 pencil lead (approx 1/16" dot) on the plug or rock. Set the foot of the zoa on the glue and hold it for about 10 seconds. Dip the plug in salt water to rapid cure the glue. Done!

Instructional video on fragging button polyps.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Gary,Make sure when your working with Palys and zoas especially,that you wear gloves and safety glasses.Dont rub ot pick your nose,rub your eyes or have your hands ANY where nera your mouth untill you've washed your hands when your done.

yea I have heard there bad for ya if one spits in your eye or gets in a cut..........Thanks for the reminder........Im picking up some zoa's tomorrow and will be handling

I usually don't make it a habit of picking my nose while fragging! :lol:

Funny yote, but I guess it's good advice for those chronic nose pickers! :)

Back