Fish Behavior

AundriaM

Reefing newb
I have a Dragon Gobie that used to act like a gobie - hiding in the rocks, hanging out at the bottom sifting sand, etc. I added a red brittle star about a week ago, and the gobie is apparently fascinated with it - going so far as to swim around the powerhead that the star has attached itsself to (at the top of the tank, in the heavier water flow) all day long for the past 3 days. I've read that some gobies will develop a relationship with a shrimp - anyone heard of them doing that with a star? The gobie doesn't touch the star, just swims around it constantly. Is this some fish signal that I'm missing? Maybe the gobie feels threatened and is trying to be scary??

Thanks - hope this isn't a dumb question :question:

Maybe the goby see's the star as something dangerous and like you said is trying to scare it away,but then again it could just be curious too.
Really have no idea,Get a pic if you can and post it.
You can never tell whats on their lil fishy minds.

I have read that some gobies can be territorial, but thats usually with other gobies. Maybe he really is just being territorial and trying to scare the star. Probally nothing to worry about though unless the gobie starts trying to take some bites.

could just be curiosity my female maroon swims around everything that goes in my tank even my hand I would worry over it too much unless he starts attacking it.

JellyMan said:
could just be curiosity my female maroon swims around everything that goes in my tank even my hand I would worry over it too much unless he starts attacking it.
That could be true too. I remember when I added a hermit crab to my tank, all 3 of my clowns began swimming around it and eventually just swam away. Curiosity gets everything.

I agree with the other posts. Everytime I add snails to the tank, all the fish swim up and stare, like in "Finding Nemo", getting to know them or sniffing out a potential food source. You know there is a problem when eating occurs. Best of luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Back