Fish Food

moncapitane

Reefing newb
I have the following fish in my 55 G tank and wondering if a wider variety of food would be good for my fish. Currently, I'm feeding twice a day and using 1/4 cube of brine shrimp.

Fish:
basslet
Cardinal
True percula Clown

Is there a better combination or is it that big of a deal. I see at the LFS's using something in a mixture that isn't clear and unsure of what that is. Any input would be awesome.

I'd switch to something like marine cuisine or Rod's if your store carries it. Brine isn't very nutritious for fish (its like candy - tastes good but no nutrients). Fish really do well with variety. I think many of us have a couple types of food that we rotate through every few feedings. I feed mostly marine cuisine with an occasional cube of emerald entree (I have a few herbivores in my tank). I tried straight mysis and also a Rod's knock-off, but my fish weren't thrilled with either of those.

I feed my fish Nori, Mysis, and a piece of krill to the anemone. Also krill to my mantis shrimp.

I'd like to get some other food to feed them, but I'd have to drive to this fish store an hour away to get it

If you have a Petco or PetSmart nearby, both of them carry a wide variety of frozen foods for saltwater fish.

That's normally where I get my mysis from, but other than that they only carry brine and some weird mixture pack that my fish wouldn't really eat.

My petco carries a ton of stuff, inclluding marine cuisine and emerald entree. I'm surprised yours doesn't Treezer. Bummer!

If you have a Petco or PetSmart nearby, both of them carry a wide variety of frozen foods for saltwater fish.

I have both. I'm just wondering how much of each I should be feeding with only 3 fish. It seems 1/4 cube is enough but if I use multiple cubes at once, its going to be harder to cut even smaller.

Anyone have some advice on how to do that?

Also, is something like this a good idea: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164170&lmdn=Fish+Food&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

I'm not sure who would have the rod's but it looks very awesome.

Last edited:
I thaw a whole cube in some tank water, use a squirt or two and then stick the rest in the fridge. I use one cube until it's gone.

Back