Fish Suggestions

x19

Reefing newb
Hey All,

One of my Anthias passed last week leaving me with two. He was eating, but never gained any weight sadly. Anyway, since Anthias do best in odd numbered groups I want to go ahead and get another one ordered. In order to make the shipping from LiveAquaria less obscene I was thinking of adding another fish to the order.

90 Gallon Rimless Tank (no mest lid)

Right now I have:
2 Ocellaris Clows
2 (will be 3) Ignitus Anthias

I don't want to add anything that may threaten the Anthias. Any thoughts?

That's rough. LA is out of all the fish I was going to suggest. There are several pretty dwarf angels you could look at, but I'm not sure if you wanted to add an angel. It would probably leave the anthias alone though, especially since they were there first.

That's rough. LA is out of all the fish I was going to suggest. There are several pretty dwarf angels you could look at, but I'm not sure if you wanted to add an angel. It would probably leave the anthias alone though, especially since they were there first.

My only concern is I wouldn't want them eating my corals.

Add three anthias to give you a total of five. Also, anthias are terrible about having internal parasites. That is one of the reasons they will eat and die anyway. If you can get them to eat a medicated food it will help a lot with the mortality rate.

Last edited:
Yeah. That would be a worry. It's always a chance with angels. I would just suggest looking around for what's in stock on LA's website until you find something you like that's in stock and would work in your tank. Some of the basslets and dottybacks are pretty!

Add three anthias to give you a total of five. Also, anthias are terrible about having internal parasites. That is one of the reasons they will eat and die anyway. If you can get them to eat a medicated food it will help a lot with the mortality rate.

Based on a recommendation from Bob Fenner at WetWebMedia I ordered some New Life Spectrum Small Fish Pellets which should arrive tomorrow, hopefully they will eat it and it will help their immune systems. I'm a little reluctant to put 5 Anthias in the tank as that would represent essentially half of my potential fish population. I do love these fish, but variety is good too.

Yeah. That would be a worry. It's always a chance with angels. I would just suggest looking around for what's in stock on LA's website until you find something you like that's in stock and would work in your tank. Some of the basslets and dottybacks are pretty!

I do like the Orchid dottyback, but the semi-aggressive temperament makes me slightly nervous.

What about a cardinal of some sort?

I've never been a huge fan of cardinals, but I'll take another look.

So I ended up just adding inverts to the order: sexy shrimp, bumblebee and astrea snails, a brittle star, and a acropora crab for my colony that doesn't have one.

It was quite the debate about whether to add more Anthias, and I may end up doing that at some point.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Back