Frenchie's 75 gallon build thread

I don't understand why the skimmer is in the fuge section and not in the first(left) section.Is there a bubble trap on the Urchin?

very true, i do need to move it to first section cause all the chaeto and calupra will get caught up in pump. totally blew past me, too much work and very little sleep, did sixteen hour shift yesterday.

may I suggest using glass instead of plexi? it's way cheaper than plexiglass, doesn't bow out under pressure, and silicon bonds to it better.

thats what i was planning i ripped out old baffles that were plexi glass, and next weekend i'm heading for glass and plumbing. i got everything but lights and baffles to do so far got return pump that is 900 gph.

hows this, this is the way he had it, 2 baffles were water enters and 1 were return pump is.

tankdesign75gallon33gallonsump_510925.bmp

how high should i keep water level if sump is 32"L x 12"w x 20"H, iknow how high i'm gonna keep it in return area but how deep in fuge area of sump?
Need some advice please.

Your not really going to know unless you do a test run first.I can tell you on my old 75g. and sump(24''L x 14''w x16'''H) that it filled up about 4'' more than the normal level.Thats after cutting the pump off.Your sump is big,I say maybe 15'' but I can't be positive.

well here it is one month later and no lights yet i'm gonna freakin go nuts, sump is built got my mj mod built, gonna fresh water test tank this weekend, and oh yeah no freakin lightssssssssssssssss. never seen backorder on a product take so long.

IM001132.JPG

IM001131.JPG

IM001130.JPG

the gap in last baffle is for if for some reason syphon on u-tube does lose its prime i'm not going to pump alot of extra water back into tank before pump stops pumping water leve will not be much higher than pump itself, but not to low to were it will make micro bubbles.
IM001129.JPG

IM001128.JPG

IM001127.JPG

just barely fits under tank, and yes i have a few bio balls not many to slow bubbles down until after holidays when i will be allowed to spend more money for live rock rubble. I spend to much more i will be in serious trouble. Have to use hang on overflow until i can save up for my octopus skimmer.

IM001126.JPG

IM001123.JPG

thats all pics for now, i just need my freakin lights and i can get this thing started.:frustrat:

doing good on money spent on this set up, a buddy game me a 24 gallon nano cube in which i traded for this 75 gallon tank, stand, and overflows.

already had a 900 gph pump, had a maxi jet mod 1200 medium flow, spent 30 bucks in all for plumbing and silicone, small clip on light for pc bulb that will run up to 60 watt bulb was 10 bucks, new coralife digital thermometer 8 bucks. Lights if they every get here was 519.00, thats for fixture, ati bulbs and risers for fixture.
sump only cost 25 bucks thanks to local reef club member.
So this tank when its done surprising will be under a grand.

that is nice lookin, i think i'll be happy with lights if i ever get them, seen lots of tank pics with tx5 fixture and they are very bright.

got my fixture finally, and yes it is freakin bright love it only problem now is i got 3 ati blue special bulbs(12k) and 3 geisemann actnic plus(450nm) but one of giesemann flickers and cuts out will not fire at all tried switching them around and nothing so i guess got to wait for premium aquatics to send another out.

That sucks! Isn't that how it always happens though, you wait and wait and wait, and finally it comes...broken.

I hope they get you your replacement quickly.

In your diagram it appears that your only planning on using 1 of the 600 GPH overflows? Unless I'm reading it wrong. If thats true dont use that strong of a pump, run both those overflows and you will be in good shape with a mag 9.5. My mag 7 is too strong for my 600 gph overflow and its throttled back with a ball valve. Looking good so far though!

nice read to your thread. I just caught up. I am interested in your livestock planning. what are you going to put in your 75?

-Doc

I'm gonna have more flow on overflows eventually its just that when i started this setup my wife told me no more tanks but i told her i could do it without spending hardly any money except for light which mother in law ended up buying for me. the tank stand and overflows i got on a trade for a 24 gallon nano cube and some corals so that costed no money cause a buddy had given me the nano cube. Sump cost 25 bucks from local reefer in our club and the return pump already had sittin around with a couple of old powerheads also. I did spend 20 something bucks altogether on plumbing parts and all live sand and live rock is coming from 29 gallon tank that i'm tearing down and have some homemade live rock from a good buddy for free. So this setup hasn't cost me much at all so after holidays i will be getting a better set of overflows cause this quiet flo brand i have is real thin plastic and flemzy so i'm gonna just use one cause if i go spend 100+ bucks on a pump wife will be mad cause in process of getting rid of carpet in living room for wood floors. So after xmas i will upgrade everything.

mag drives are good pumps but the one i got is an old aqua clear 901 pump and i got a ball valve on the out flow end of pump to tune it down. The only livestock that will be in it right now is scopas tang, sixline wrasse, dragon gobie, and clown fish. Inverts will be one sallylightfoot, 2 sandsifting cucumbers, only 3 hermits since 29 gallon was snail only tank had some hitchhikers on live rock, nerite snails, trochus snails, one turbo snails, couple of cleaner clams, fancy brittle starfish, one green tinted long tentacle anenome, and different rics, shrooms, polyps, zoos, and devils hand. Gonna keep tank shrooms, ricordeas, and many different zoos mostly and a couple lps corals. Will probally add another smaller species tang. Dont want many fish just corals, my 125 has too many fish and i battle algae and other crap time to time so i'm gonna thin that tank down on fish and add some anthias to that tank cause freaks tanks looks freakin awesome with his fish, gotta have some in mine.

Back