Glueing PVC pipe to bulkhead fittings (ABS)?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Was wondering about glueing PVC pipe to bulkhead fittings for my new tank setup. Bulkhead fittings outside are slip so I need to use glue and was wondering if the standard oatey PVC cement will be sufficient cause I know bulkhead fittings are made of ABS plastic rather than PVC. I would think they would be fine since PVC glue works by expanding the PVC itself so it is super tight so I don't see why this wouldn't work but just wanted to be sure.

PVC primer and glue will work just fine. I've mixed and matched the two types of plastic for my tanks, and it works just fine. There's not a whole lot of pressure on those lines, so I think it'd still be pretty hard for water to get through.

I have also done it. But if you are worried, there is glue that is made for bonding ABS to PVC. It is usually right by the other glues in the Home Depot. Just gotta read all the labels. But if you read the ingredients, they are mostly the same chemicals. Probably just different amounts.

The glue bj is talking about actually isn't glue and you don't use primer. It's more of a solvent to melt the two plastics together so to speak. Very quick setting wet or dry. The one I use is called Weld-On 748 Pool Fast. Most pool supply stores will sell it.

Back