Good in-sump skimmer for less than $150?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
Hey guys, I just ditched my prizm skimmer last week. Luckily my work still let me return it 2 months or so after I bought it. Only gave me store credit, but I'm just buying salt mix and snails with that :)

Anyway, I've been skimmerless for a few days now, and I want to get one asap. I can't afford to pay $200+ for an AquaC or anything like that, but I do want an in-sump, as HOBs are ugly and a pain in the ass to work with.
I'm looking at under $150 and less than 26" tall (because of cabinet space).
I've noticed the coralife super skimmers are fairly inexpensive, they any good?
It's really hard to make this judgment on my own because whenever you ask someone what skimmer to get they reccomend like a $300 octopus or something. So all the good, reputable brands are crazy expensive, but when I find ones for tolerable prices, I have no idea wha I'm looking at.

It's a 55g FOWLR, 10g sump, and soon to have a 10g fuge as well.
Thanks a lot, this site is awesomesauce.

EDIT: Dammit I didn't mean to post in here, can someone please move this thread to lighting, filtration etc.?

Last edited:
You might need to look around on ebay or craiglist for something used. I love my ASM skimmers.

there are some newer cone skimmers that are suppose to be the bomb.. someone on here will know the name, I can't remember.

A Reef Octopus NW (needle wheel) 110 is I think is around $150. I have one in my sump for a 29G reef and it kicks some serious ass, atleast it seems to me that it does, get all kinds of black junk from it.

Plus, its rated up to 90-100, depending on your bioload I'm sure.

Back