Good sites to get halides?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I don't want aquatraders' oddyseas, I've heard too many horror stories not only about fires and wires melting but the fixtures don't sound very reliable all together.

Just googling "metal halides" gets me lost and I'm not totally sure what brands I should be looking for.

So where do you guys get halides? I'm looking for a $400-$500 price range.

Have you tryed drsfostersmith.com ?

I checked it out, the only halide fixtures I can find on there are one for nano tanks and an outer orbit that costs $700, and even if I was willing to spend that kind of money they don't have it in 48".

Ok I got mine from aqua traders also but I did a search will post some places I found. 4ft Sunlight Supply Maristar High Output HQI-T5 Combo Fixture and Coralife 48 inch Aqualight Elite 2x175 Watt Metal Halide & 2X96 - Buy Online No Best Pet Lighting and not mh it's t-5 but a good price http://www.suburbanreef.com/items.aspx?cat=1&type=34&header=978 thats what I could find around 500 and under. Ah upon further inspection that first link doesnt include bulbs or ballasts so cross that one off. I think for the money the second one is the best deal a coralife everything included for $445 and the site says flat rate shipping $7 dollars on all orders. Looks really good.

Last edited:
I'm digging that coralife one, and it's only $100 more than the Oddyseas. Hmm, it looks like that's probably what I'll get actually.

Very true. I like mine from Aqua Traders but some people dont want to risk it. Best pet lighting (the one with the coralife fixture) has some decent prices and the flat rate shipping is a great deal just $7 for whatever you order. I have never ordered from them but I bookmarked them. If they have what I want on my next purchase I will give them a try. If you order from them Solarfall let us know how the service is.

Well I asked my LFS about the Oddyseas and they actually told me about several customers of theirs having their fixtures fry in less than 2 years. These aren't customers from 5 years ago either, but just within the year. They also gave me a shpeal about how these kind of companies just ship all their work to china, then as soon as things get hairy with the lights breaking down, the companies just go bankrupt and start over under a new name.
They weren't just trying to sell me their stuff either, because I'm a frequent customer and they know I try to spend as little money as possible, they just told me to order a reputable brand because it's not worth the risk.

If there's one thing I've learned from this hobby it's that nothing worthwhile is ever easy (or cheap, rather) so the aquatraders thing just seems to good to be true.

But I think I'll probably order that coralife MH/T5 fixture some time withing the next few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes over.

Back