Grassman's 55 Gallon Reef

The tank looks great! I wouldn't worry too much about the pissed off corals. It make take them several days to settle in.

I would watch those top rocks though -- they look kinda wobbly? I would hate for one of them to come crashing down! Be sure that there isn't the potential for any of your rocks to fall.

LMAO! Read this to my girlfriend and she slapped me stating for me to get my head out of the gutter... she apparently misheard me :grumble:

other tank bust a leak?

LOL! It wasn't what I was going to put, but I changed it so I wouldn't offend anyone. Did she make it up to you?

The other tank blew a seal. Guess the silicone I used wasn't thick enough on the one end.

No Sand?!??!?! :o

I put it in today. It was too late for me to do it last night. Being a grandparent isn't all it's cracked up to be. Damn rabbit thinks feeding at 4:30am is the perfect time and then tries to put all the shavings back into the box when there is nothing left to put in it so all you hear for a hour is claws scraping on plastic.

The tank looks great! I wouldn't worry too much about the pissed off corals. It make take them several days to settle in.

They look a little better today. The waving hand and blue cloves don't look all that great. I keep finding polyps of the waving hand getting blown around in the tank. I've made 3 frags from it so far. I gave them all away. Maybe someone will give in return. :)

I would watch those top rocks though -- they look kinda wobbly? I would hate for one of them to come crashing down! Be sure that there isn't the potential for any of your rocks to fall.

I banged them around today when using PRC's cool invention for adding substrate to a tank, and they stayed. I'm going to move them tomorrow just to be sure.

The substrate has been added and the tank is full. I love this tank. I can run my pump wide open for once. Major flow. :bounce: When I was at Lyle's getting water and dropping off a frag for him, he gave me this Anemone. He says when I get a clown they will love each other.

016-NewAnemone1.jpg

017-NewAnemone2.jpg

I can't do a full tank shot with the camera since the damn post is in the way in the basement so I did it in 2 sections.
018-Leftsideoftank.jpg

019-Rightsideoftank.jpg

You can really see the rocks Biff is talking about in the above picture. I've hit them with my ABS substrate spreader, and grabbed a hold of the stand and rocked it pretty good and they stayed in place...BUT...I'm going to move them. I trust Biff's instincts and they my luck goes!!!

Here's the last frag I made and gave away from the waving hands that were being blown around the tank.
020-Myfirstfrag.jpg

Here's a video I made of the tank. It maybe quite big. I think it's about 75 Megs or so. Any info on how to make them smaller would be great. I'm new to the video thing. :mrgreen:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfc4soTW5J0"]YouTube - New Tank.avi[/ame]

And last but not least, here's the puffer Kim wants. I've been told it's reef safe, but then I've been told that before.
021-Puffer.jpg

The fish looks great! It won't bother corals, but you may start to see shrimp/snails/crabs disappear with that guy in there.

I knew it was too go to be true. Just wondering what reef safe really means. Most sales people it means won't eat corals. This is why I deal with Lyle. Reef safe means it won't eat corals, your fish, or your CUC.

If that nem is a Condy nem, which i think it is, it wont host the clowns. Sorry :(

Thanks little-fish. I found it on liveaquaria and I quote:

QUICK STATS Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Aggressive Reef Compatible: With Caution Lighting: High Waterflow: Medium Water Conditions: 72-78° F, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Color Form: Tan, White Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements Origin: Western Atlantic Family: Actiniidae
What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here
overview
The Haitian Reef Anemone, also known as the Pink-Tip Condy, is found near Haiti, in lagoons or on inner reefs, as individuals, or loose groups. It is never found in connected clusters. It has a red column with long, tapering, pink-tipped tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance. Generally it likes to bury the base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection. The Haitian Reef Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although an Anemone requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Haitian Reef Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.

So I have 6 red-leg hermits that are about 3/4" of an inch long. I have a feeling it may not survive. LOL! Lyle said he'll take it back and get me something else.

That is so nice of him to take it back!

I also got to see them in spring break, huge ones and they are so beautiful! Pity they are such a pain to keep :(

Coral Update;

Here's what everything looked like when I got home this evening. I was so shocked I had to take pictures.

Here's my 2 purple & green mushrooms.
023-Mushroom1.jpg

024-Mushroom2.jpg

This one impressed me the most! It's my zoa colony;
025-ZoaFrag.jpg

Here's my 1 frag for Eagle Eyes, Blue Polyps, and Green stripped Mushroom. Everything is open on them that was before.
026-EagleEyes1BluePolypsGreenMushroom.jpg

My Brown Polyps. A few aren't open yet.
027-BrownPolyps.jpg

Blue Clove Frag. These guys took a beating. There are only 2 polyps left on it. They are inside the mark. That whole rock use to be just covered.
028-BlueCloves.jpg

Pink Ric is open nicely.
029-PinkRic.jpg

Orange Ric has shrunk a little. I think they need to be fed. I'll do that tomorrow when I get home.
030-OrangeRic.jpg

My other frag of Eagle Eyes. They are all open.
031-EagleEyes2.jpg

Red and Pink Zoas. The reds have a few opened, and the pink just needs a few more to be full again. I pissed the pink ones off again tonight when I moved the rock.
032-RedandPinkZoas.jpg

The Waving Hands are short about 10 hands, but they are standing up and not drooped over.
033-WavingHand.jpg

Lastly for the corals, my blasto. Not fairing very well. One head died, and the other looks like it's on it's way out. Not much left of it. Any ideas how to bring it back?

034-Blasto.jpg

Here's the new scaping on the right of the tank. The left side is still the same.
035-MovedRocks.jpg

looks good, i love the zoa colony! Make sure that top rock with the snails on it is good and sturdy, rest of it looks great. Im impressed with the aquascaping, I hate moving rocks cause it always seems like "the way we had it" looked better.

for me, this leads to pruny fingers and a nagging girlfriend telling me to get my hands out of the tank and leave the rocks alone!

Just "baby" the blastos, find a good spot for them and dont disturb them. Feed when is needed and they could or coulnt come back....i put mine in a low flow area where i new it wouldnt be bothered.

Looks good tho!

looks good, i love the zoa colony! Make sure that top rock with the snails on it is good and sturdy, rest of it looks great. Im impressed with the aquascaping, I hate moving rocks cause it always seems like "the way we had it" looked better.

for me, this leads to pruny fingers and a nagging girlfriend telling me to get my hands out of the tank and leave the rocks alone!

Thank you Buddy!! I picked that up for $40. (that good since I paid $15 for the small ones.) My jaw dropped when he told me the price. I'm going up to London again the next weekend I have the kids and hoping he's got more. I want the Candy Cane he had there. Hope it's still there.

That rock and the one below it to the right are the only ones I moved. I hit them with the net a few times along the edges to make sure it wasn't going to fall. My wife let's me play in there all the time. If my hands in there it's not someplace else. ;-) LOL!

Last edited:
Goodluck with it. I paid 40 for mine too...still trying to get it back to life since my pep ate them and my acans....blasto's are def one of my fav corals....one of these days im going to get my hands on some rainbow blasto's...

That halloween urchain looks awsome too! Glad your back in the hobby. Alot of weaker ppl would have folded their cards and called it quits.

Back