Help with lighting

ARNP

Reefing newb
I need to upgrade my lighting and plan to keep soft corals... not sure what kind yet. I want to make sure I have sufficient lighting to keep most anything.. What do you think of this: My tank is 55 Gal 21/34 depth x 48 inch length. Will this setup just hook on top of my tank replacing old standard aquarium lighting "the 2 hood style"??

Thanks for any any information...

clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X54 Watt, 48 inch Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
List Price: $317.95
Our Price (price includes free shipping!) $259.95
You save $58.00!
Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif
In Stock
clear1x1.gif

The Current USA Nova Extreme T5 is for reef aquariums. Please visit our Lighting Chart page to identify the best light for your particular reef aquarium.

Features:
  • Two 54 Watt SlimPaq 10K and two 54 watt 460nm Actinic Blue T5 HO fluorescent lamps
  • Dimensions: 48" x 8" x 2.5"
  • 216 Watts/1.86 Amps
  • Cooling fan
  • NEW STYLE individually contoured parabolic reflector (20% more output)
  • Mounting legs
  • Performance driven electronic ballasts. Independent control over 10K and Actinic lamps.
  • User Manual (pdf file in new window)

Yeah but according to their chart I should be able to keep Fish, Live Rock and Soft Corals just no LPS or SPS with my AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights but I was told that it won't be strong enough from most people here so who knows if that chart is always right.

Also why do they sell those MH setups with the Legs when that doesn't seem as high up as I have read that is recommended.

I don't own a chiller and with those legs they MH's will be close to the water.

Last edited:
I know from firsthand experience that the light he linked to is sufficient for a 55... I'm not sure what the chart is saying for your tank.

I am sure that you do I am just saying that they said the light will work and you said no.

I am in no way saying you are wrong I was just saying in case he was looking at others or anyone else just went there. You know they should ask around.

Well since you probably know the answer can you tell me why they sell the MH setup with legs and don't recommend a chiller.

The ones at the pet store weren't really hot at all but they were is a fixture with a cover as opposed to sitting out in the open.

My tank is 23" deep.

I'm sorry the water is 25" deep and the lights are 28" from the bottom to the lens.

I was not putting the corals in the sand like you know a few inches from the bottom and up.

Well since you probably know the answer can you tell me why they sell the MH setup with legs and don't recommend a chiller.

The ones at the pet store weren't really hot at all but they were is a fixture with a cover as opposed to sitting out in the open.

My tank is 23" deep.

I don't recommend a chiller for hardly any tanks. I live in Arizona, and my tanks have never needed chillers, even my two tanks that used MH. 99% of tanks don't need one. If your tank is getting hot, you can buy a cheap clip-on fan from Walmart and have it blowing across the surface of the water. This can drop the temperature of the tank by up to 8 degrees. Plus, most lights come with built in fans. This helps a lot too.

I think you will find that on this whole site, only a couple people even use chillers. They are not a necessary piece of equipment. Not to mention, they are expensive, and just transfer heat to the surrounding environment, which counteracts the cooling of the chiller by making the room temperature warmer.

As for them sitting on legs, most lights can either be hung from the ceiling or come on legs. The hanging kits are usually sold separately, but nearly all the fixtures are made with that capability.

Yeah I can't have them hanging. Just the location in my living room would make it look terrible. I keep looking at the 6 bulb T5 but then I will have to upgrade again later to MH so I am thinking of just getting the Aquaticlife MH/T5 setup.

I think it is only like 12" wide which is nice and small for me.

Ok well this thread is for someone elses lights so that is my last post here.

Good luck with whatever lights you get and your tank.

Back