Hey I think my green carpet is dying what do you think?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
The past day it's been very deflated and now if folded over on itself. Won't attach to rock, didn't like the sand either. I've had it 2 weeks. Or am I just over reacting? Nitrates are 40, phos 0.5, temp 80, salinity 1.0245. I know I gotta get it outta the tank if it's dead.
Have a look:
100_1602.jpg

100_1604.jpg

If it is not attaching to anything, then it is not doing well, sorry to say. In my opinion, nitrates at 40 are way too high for anemones to survive in. How long have they been that high for? Anemones are extremely sensitive to water conditions and you really need nitrates as close to zero as possible to keep them.

Also, what kind of lights do you have? And do you feed the anemones?

Usually when they dont attach they are unhealthy. Also when they start to die or get really unhealthy, they will start to fade and lose color. So as long as the green stays green you probably wont have anything to worry about. My nitrates were ALWAYS high (around 60) and my carpet always managed to pull through and stay healthy. 40 shouldn't be bad as long as you dont keep them at 40 for a period of time. Whatever food you feed him try to soak in garlic. My carpet loved his krill soaked in garlic and always looked healthy. Worked for me. Good luck!

When the anemone starts to die, it will gradually start to turn to jello, and the importance is to remove it before it gets past the jello stage. also smell your water and if it smells foul, you need to act. if on the other hand your water smells ocean fresh you probably are still ok. if you remove the anemone use a bowl and net. place the bowl just below the water a few inches and net the anemone, then put the net and anemone into the bowl so as not to have the anemone fall apart into the system. if you are careful you should be able to do it without amess. good luck.

My nitrates are usually always around 40, sad to say, and sometimes have spiked to 80, but that was weeks ago. My rose BTAs have flourished in this tank even through the spikes, even divided! My lighting is 260w PC and the tank is 55 gal. I'm planning on moving everything to my new 110 which I started 2 weeks ago, but I want it to mature before I move the anems. Anyway I tried feeding the carpet and it hasn't eaten in 5 days or so...I will definitely try the garlic w/ krill trick. I've only had the carpet for 2 weeks, and seems to be crashing. I also added a true percula yesterday but he won't host (yet, hopefully). I just did a 10% water change. What else can I do to reduce my nitrates quickly? Thanks everyone!

At this point,all you can do is water changes to drop the nitrates.
From looking at the pic,That anemone is knocking on deaths door.If its not dead yet,it aint far from it.
You also need quiet a bit more light.You need at least 8 or 9 watts per gallon for anemones and good stable water quality.

When the anemone starts to die, it will gradually start to turn to jello, and the importance is to remove it before it gets past the jello stage. also smell your water and if it smells foul, you need to act. if on the other hand your water smells ocean fresh you probably are still ok. if you remove the anemone use a bowl and net. place the bowl just below the water a few inches and net the anemone, then put the net and anemone into the bowl so as not to have the anemone fall apart into the system. if you are careful you should be able to do it without amess. good luck.

^^^^ Very true. My buddy had a carpet that was dying but his was taken out of the tank and was put in an empty 5 gallon paint bucket and once it started dying, you couldn't even stand the smell in the room it was soooo bad. He ended up flushing it. Also as long as he keeps moving his tentacles then he is alright. Once the tentacles stop moving then you have a problem.

I hate to be the pessimist here, but it is dead. dump it. when they start to wither like that, it is not a good sign. healthy nems won't stay like that for more than a few hours when they expell their water. they should fill right back up. not looking good. I would not risk the rest of the system

-Doc

Wow you guys called this one! I took it out right away...it turned to mush when I netted it. Nobody else in the tank suffered though, no losses, so I got it out just in time. I kept it in a bucket of tank water for a couple days, man that is the nastiest smell I can recall. Did another 10% water change today just to make sure I got the tank a bit cleaner.All the corals and fish look very healthy!

Back