How Reef Compatible are Flame Angels?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Flame Angelfish

I was wondering if I could add a Flame Angel to my 75 gallon reef I'm going to set up. I've heard they can nip on corals and invertebrates. It also says they should be added to the aquarium last, are they aggressive? Another thing it says is care lever moderate, are they difficult to care for? And I already have quite a large list, would this be over stocking?

Six Line Wrasse

Yellow Tang

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns

Diamond Goby

Tail Spot Blenny

3 Blue/Green Chromises

Yes it would be. I would even cut down on the list you already have.

To answer your other question, it's 50/50 whether or not they will pick at your corals. Your best bet to get one from a LFS that is already used to frozen food.

+1 Erin

Flames and the Coral Beauties are usually pretty good, but every now and then you get a naughty one. It helps to keep them well fed and buy one that is already eating frozen like Erin said

I'd look into a Coral Beauty. In my experience they are a better choice than the Flames are. I've never had a Flame act right, and don't really know any people that have.

It seems like too much of a risk to get an angel. When someone has a school of six chromises do they need 60 gallons just for them?

Back