justin's 55 reef w/ATF

The worst part is that I am a Taxidermist and have plenty of work to do in order to have the extra cash for this crazy obsesion. I would just rather play with my tank than do any work.

The 55 is starting to really look good now, the water tests are great, and the brown algea is all but gone. Still some showing up on the scrubber, but none in my display. Things are definately looking up.

Yesterday I got a new tank!!! :? ???
Got it for a great price, but don't know when or if I'll set it up.
200 gallon wilth stand and canopy (IT'S HUGE)
Came with 300 pounds of rock that I started cooking right away. It was covered with huge aptasia (he told me he had several anenome's) like 100 of them as big as baseballs.
Had two sumps (wet/dry, Bioballs) That he had on timers and only ran 2hours per day???
And for lights, he was using industrial warehouse ballasts and bulbs.
It is going to need a lot of updating before it can be set up and if I'm going to do it I would like to refinish the mohogany base and canopy also.
Here are some picks right after we unloaded it into my shop. haven't decided what i'm gonna do from here.

Attachments

• new tank 002.jpg
    new tank 002.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 220
  • new tank 003.jpg
    new tank 003.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 193
  • new tank 004.jpg
    new tank 004.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 219
Quick update,
The 55 is frikin Awesome.
Everything is doing great.
Zoas and shrooms are growing like weeds, and now i have two blue xzenia that showed up as riders.
Algea scrubber is working like a charm and my manderine is getting fat from all the pods.
I am getting ready to go to a bigger sump to help with evaporation, my return pump section is very small and I have to add about 1/2 gal twice daily.
Thanks again for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

I'll get some pics soon. I have a hard time getting any of the colors to show with all the blue light. my halids ar 14,000k and the actinics are 20,000k.

I have bee working on cleaning and setup plans for the 200, and need some help (again).
Originally the school that owned it had installed a piece of black plexi across the back between overflows on the inside of the tank. Then sometime later removed it. Now I have diaganal lines showing from the silicone they used covering the whole back of the tank. I have tried pressure washing, and scraping with a razor blade, with no success. Any ideas on how to clean it????
Also, I hate the big piece of glass in the center of the tank. I would like to replace the etire top frame with one that has two top supports but have had no luck locating one. My LFS said the biggest they could get is 72". If anyone knows where I can get a new top frame for a 84"x24" tank please let me know.
Thanks

Ok, finally some pics.
The zoas I had on my rocks when i started have at least doubled in size. they are a cool yellow with bright orange eye.
I have also gone to a larger sump w/ auto topoff
Sorry about the pics, I havn't figured out how to take a good pic with actinics on.

Attachments

• IMG_0315[1].JPG
    IMG_0315[1].JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0314[1].JPG
    IMG_0314[1].JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0313[1].JPG
    IMG_0313[1].JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0272[1].JPG
    IMG_0272[1].JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0282[1].JPG
    IMG_0282[1].JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0317[1].JPG
    IMG_0317[1].JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 179
  • i-phone 5-9-11 022.jpg
    i-phone 5-9-11 022.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 192
  • i-phone 5-9-11 023.jpg
    i-phone 5-9-11 023.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 220
  • i-phone 5-9-11 024.jpg
    i-phone 5-9-11 024.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 218
  • i-phone 5-9-11 025.jpg
    i-phone 5-9-11 025.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Also have a quick update on the 220.
I picked up a 90long the other day that should work out perfect for a sump.
Still a lot of planning and purchasing before it's up though.
And the base and canopy are currently at the high school being refinished by the woodshop class.
Should get it back in a few weeks looking like new (FOR FREEEEEEE!!!!!!)

Great news, after only 10 months, I finally have the 220 sort of running. The tank is full, I have around 180# of sand in it, around 100# of rock, and the main sump pump is running.
Finally starting a cycle!!!
More rock is on it's way, and I can't wait to hook up all the new Saltwater Aquatics LEDs I got from Wally. (Awesome guy to deal with. Very professional and answered all of my questions.)
I will post pics as soon as there is something to take a pic of.

Back